• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension lift instal in Houston

XJ Wagon

NAXJA Member #1360
Does anybody know a good shop to have suspension lift system and other installed on my 01 XJ 4X4 in the Houston area? I actually live in Pasadena. There is a place called B&C, just not to sure about them.

At this point I am thinking I am going to go with OME with heavy load front springs and med load rear leaf springs or Skyjacker 3" single flex JC301KS-SX. If I go with OME I won't have to get the SYE and drive shaft and I am thinking if I go 3", like the skyjacker I will. Right? I have read really good things about Rubicon Express, but I just don't think I want to go that big.

I will be adding a ARB front bull bar and some armor so I am expecting some weighing down. It is my DD and will not see a lot of off-roading, just some at the beach or some bad roads.

Thanks in advance.

I would at least "plan/budget" for an SYE kit at any lift height on an 01'.

Re: Suspension lift install in Houston

RCP Phx said:
I would at least "plan/budget" for an SYE kit at any lift height on an 01'.

Really? I have been to 4 Wheel Parts(from what I have read that doesn't mean much), talked to Skyjacker and http://www.selectjeeps.com/home.htm and B&C Offroad and they all said I would not need a SYE for 3" lift. I have read much about this and I do believe I I will need SYE for 3" or higher, but will it be necessary with 2" like OME?

Re: Suspension lift install in Houston

i know if you join up with 4x4 clubs around houston area (there are a couple). they have a few guys who would probably help you with the install for the cost of refreshments. of course you would be expected to help someone else out the next time....

check out http://www.tx4wd.org/tx4wd/index.htm Great group. We just had a show/ benifit in the pasadena area last weekend. If you join up and get on the email list you post all the question you want and get answers from others in your area that have done it. Maybe find someone to help you.

Dan

I live in Houston too. I installed Rusty's 3" lift w/ new springs and 3/4" spacers last year and netted about 4" on my '01. I lowered the TC and put a new track bar on and haven't had any problems. Is a matter of fact, it drives as well as it did stock. I haven't been off road as much as I'd like, but no problems that would constitute and SYE yet. PM me and I'll give you my number if you need help with an install. I did mine by myself over a weekend.

Its a crap shoot, I owuld make sure you budget for an SYE and shaft just incase.

Ok, I'll plan on doing the SYE kit and drive shaft with whichever lift I end up with. Either way it is a better drive shaft than stock, so it will be better in the long run.

Now I guess I just have to decide if I want to go with OME for 2" or go with RE for 3.5"+. I just have not talked myself into going that high yet. From what I have read RE is probably the best. Decisions, decisions.

j33p3r said:
I live in Houston too. I installed Rusty's 3" lift w/ new springs and 3/4" spacers last year and netted about 4" on my '01. I lowered the TC and put a new track bar on and haven't had any problems. Is a matter of fact, it drives as well as it did stock. I haven't been off road as much as I'd like, but no problems that would constitute and SYE yet. PM me and I'll give you my number if you need help with an install. I did mine by myself over a weekend.

Thank you for the offer, I will need more than help. I am not afraid of a wrench, but I don't know what I would need to do. I would need some serious guidance.

I bought mine with a 8" lift. Personally I would not have gone that high. Once I get the new axles on and do some tweaking it won;t be that bad. I think a 3-4" lift would have been perfect. I have some RE stuff on my CJ7 and have always been very pleased with the quality. I have OLD Man Emu on my CJ8 and I hate them. I know it is not the same as the XJ but I still can not stand the springs. They where 2.5" lift and they settled bad.

Here's the XJ. Like I said, way more lift than I would have done but the deal was right.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...ages/1/web/2065000-2065999/2065248_4_full.jpg

Back