• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle conversion help

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i've been trying to find a XJ HP dana30 to put into my 97TJ.

i found great deal on a XJ for $300 that i couldn't pass up cuz i thought i would use it as a parts vehicle for my XJ and hopefully use the front axle for my TJ. now that it's sitting in my garage i looked at it and did some research online i believe i have the vacuum disconnect axle. i was wondering: can i still use that axle for my purposes??? is there a way to convert it to a non-disconnect axle????

thanks for any help,
alex

i guess i should have done a search first instead of panicing. i'm just on a deadline to get this going and freaked out when it wasn't what i was hopeing for.

problem is i have to replace the axle because it was hit by a car. the only damage i see is the axle housing. how can i tell if the axle shafts are actually bend?

To answer your original question....you can modify the shift fork in the CAD axle and lock the inner/outer shafts together, creating a one piece shaft. Pop the CAD motor off the axle and slide the shift fork over to the engaged position, slide the locking collar over in the axle to couple the shafts together. Some poeple have just done that and popped it back together, and it remains "locked", but you can also shim the fork over to lessen the chance that it may back off. I used a stack of washers on one side of the fork to do it, others have used hose clamps as well. It takes some disassembly of the motor/fork (there's 3 "O-Jesus" clips that hold everything on to the shaft inside), and some adding/subtracting washers until you get things lined up just so, but it's pretty simple.
I've had mine locked like that for the last 15K miles with no problems.
HTH,
Jeff

I must be one of the few that likes the CAD system. If you put '95 YJ shafts into it you get the stronger 297 u-joints, and if you put a vacuum switch into the controls or replace it with a cable-actuated gizmo, you get a 4-lo position. Good stuff IMHO, plus the beefier UCA mount and I believe axles from that vintage have stronger swaybar mounts.

No, you're just a freak :laugh3:

I'm about to modify mine anyhow, using a 2 position vac switch I snagged out of an old CommandTrak XJ in the junkyard...gonna make it disco again. I need better gas mileage for one, and I've a need for 2LO to do landscaping work. It is a truck after all, y'know....I still use it to haul crap!
Jeff

Back