• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Fluids. what do I need?

xstoyz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have tried to search, but haven't found exactly what im looking for. I am planning on changing the fluids on the Jeep this weekend and I want to know what I should have before hand. I am planning on doing both axles and the Transfer Case. (everything else has been done) I have never changed the fluid in an axle while it was on the car so i really want to be sure i have everything I need ready. What type of fluid should i have? Friction modifier? etc. What wrenches will i need? and are there any tips you can give me? I have read a bunch of posts saying that it is very easy to do and not worth spending the $100+ dollars to have it done at the local lube place. I have done everything else to the Jeep myself but so i know it pretty well, i just havent ever done this and its gona be in the low 30* range this weekend so i dont want to spend any more time under there than i have to. any help with this would be great. Also if there is anyone that is in the Tiverton, RI area that would like to help. I will supply the beer (or hot chocolate) and pizza.

Thanks
Ed

'88 Cherokee Limited
I6 Automatic

Basd on my 98XJ, 4.0L, 5 speed, NP231, C8.25 auburn equipped rear and open D30 front.
Engine: 6 quarts of Mobil-1 10w30, Mobil-1 or K&N oil filter
NP231 : 3 quarts of Mobil-1 ATF and a way to fill it.*1
C8.25: 5 quarts of Drydene gear oil, 75w90 and bottle of kendal additive.*2
D30: 3 quarts of Mobil-1 90w gear oil *2
Auto tranny, no idea..

NOTE 1: Remove the fill plug before you drain the transfer case, will help it drain quicker and also make sure you can get it out to refill it. If you can't get the top refill plug out, don't drain it...

NOTE 2: Loosen all the bolts on the diff cover and remove all but the top one, this will let you pry the cover off, drain the lube and not have the cover plop into the oil pan and splash oil everywhere or land on your fingers...

Back