• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much should a repair shop charge for

I don't have much time for working on my jeep these days. So when my brake pedel dropped a bit and the light came on I took it to a reputable shop to have it looked at. I also asked him to check the cooling system for I suspected that the radiator was starting to split from where the water was leaking on the side.

So the guy calls me and says the rear wheel cylinder blew and I need rear shoes $250. That the radiator is splitting, needs replacement and the Serpentine Belt needs replacement $500. With an oil change he is charging me $800 for all of this.

Now I expect that the guy is going to make a good dollar off of me and I have to pay for the diagnostic but $500 for a radiator and belt. Isn't this a bit much?

I paid 500 to have a radiator installed by the dealer (along with some other riduculous stuff) just before thanksgiving. thinking back, I wish I had done it myself.

so, $500 doesn't sound completely unreasonable, but you could get it done yourself along with a new water pump and thermostat for ~200,

omg, $500 to replace a radiator? Its so easy. I replaced mine in my parking spot with minimal tools in like an hour. What kind of a radiator are they using? My Modine two row was less than $200. Replacing my serpentine belt took me all of 20 minutes. IIRC, the belt was only like 20.

The $250 for rear brakes sounds high too, but brake jobs are always expensive if you pay to have it done. Its not that difficult of a job though.

Sounds like a rip. Try brakemasters for brakes if you don't want to get dirty yourself, though it is pretty easy.

The radiator part is a rip to, again easy to do, but if you don't want to get dirty then still $500 is a rip. 3-row radiator is 150 bucks. http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?...HEROKEE&submodel=XJ&engine_size=L6,4.0L,242ci

If you are going to pay the prices you quoted, then you might as well have the dealer do it. I think you would be better off going to specific shops (i.e. do the radiator at a radiator shop, brakes at a brake place), or do it yourself if you have the time, work area, and simple tools.

I had the same quote for my radiator. It is kind of a pain to change but can be done by yourself. It does pretty much involve removing the front grill/facia stuff to change it out easily. The preice isn't too bad out of line. You could probably do it yourself cheaper. Just make sure you use a line quick disconnect to remove the transmission line off the radiator if you do it yourself.

A rear wheel cylinder is about $12 each at the parts store and brakes for both sides are about $20. A new spring kit is about $7. Just jack up the back, put stands under it, and remove both hubs. Do not take both brakes apart at the same time. Do one at a time so you can go look at the other one for reference. Easy to do and you will save a ton of money.
The wheel cylinder is easy also. Just get some one to help you bleed the brakes.
I am sure people on here can give you more detailed step by step if you decide to do it yourself. It would cost you less than a $70 and a little time.

Remember what you are paying for is labor which is the commodity that you do not have time to perform yourself. No doubt its alot of money but not unreasonable. Shops have overhead beyond the cost of your new radiator, labor, rent, parts delivery, etc,..... Just because you can pick it up cheaper at NAPA doesn't mean that they are making a killing. In order to run a shop with competent mechanics they have to payroll their staff enough to feed their families and send their kids to college.

I for one get tired of the argument that every shop is out to screw the customer because someone can do it at home for less.

I too, as a single father have only so much time in the day and utilize a reliable local shop when I don't have the weekend free or its just to f'n cold to be outside underneath a Jeep. Like everyone else, I usually gasp at the charges but that doesn't necessarily mean they are unjustified. I'm also willing to admit that it is more a reflection of the condition of my wallet than the a reflection of how my shop is overcharging me.

Last edited:
Marc in Arcata said:
So the guy calls me and says the rear wheel cylinder blew and I need rear shoes $250. That the radiator is splitting, needs replacement and the Serpentine Belt needs replacement $500. With an oil change he is charging me $800 for all of this.

Well think about this for a Minute...

1. You live in the "Bay Area" or Northern Cal... Labor is usually a lot more than other places...

2. The rear brakes for $250.00 ( probibly two wheel cyliders, shoes, and hardwear kit...thanks to all the money hungry laywers in Ca...nobody wants liability with brakes )

3. The Radiator still baffles me at $500.00..even if he is paying a premium for the part and delivery..the Cal hazmat fee for coolant is still not that high...

All in all I say take the jeep to a reliable shop to have the rear brakes done.. get a haynes or chilton manual and take on the radiator and serp belt yourself... just my .02$ worth.

If you want someone else to do it or you just don't want to get dirty is just as good as doing it yourself. Only difference is that you spend more. Shops have to make enought to pay all overhead, as well as make a profit. It's the American way. The work you need done is fairly easy to do, ifyou want to get dirty and do it yourself, plus you save a bunch of money. your choice.

Marc,
I do not know which dealer you are using. I am in Eureka/Arcata. I have used Rocky's in Eureka. Hope that Helps.

if my math is correct he is going to charge u 50$ for an oil change, that in itself is a huge red flag for me, and the radiator and belt should not cost 500$ that's rediculous.

250$ for brakes could be it all depends on how labor intensive it is.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. It helps to know that I'm not the only one being charged $500 for a Radiator and an hours labor. Next time I'll do it myself but with 2 kids (2 and 6 years) and the wife works a lot of nights and weekends it is difficult to find an hour or so to fix the things that need it.

And yes Steveareno Rocky was my mechanic and a very good one when I lived in Humboldt but I have moved. Tell him Marc, Michelle, Luke and Sam say hi.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Marc formerly in Arcata, now in Tracy, CA

:wave:

Mark,

Off topic... it was nice to see you post again. I had wondered where you went to since I haven't seen you and your rig around in a while... Things are still the same here in Eureka.... :)

You have two choices: learn to do it yourself or pay some one.

A shhop can charge what ever they want!

In California they must give an estimite before work starts, call for aproval if price goes up or down (check with the BAR).

Ultimatly the decision is yours.

Replacing a radiator is easy, I did it three times on the same XJ the same day.
The first replacement was a 3 row, unfortunately it was too wide and a bit too high.
The second from Autozone (O'Reilly's sells the exact same) fit great for the most part except the filler neck that was pushing hard against the air filter housing.
Finally I gave up and bought one from Jeep that cost about $80 more and fit just right.
I also bought the two hoses from the dealer because the aftermarket ones didn't have a spring in the lower hose like the original does.

Belt and radiator will run right 300 just for parts , and i had a brake job done front and rear ceramic pads for 350 in denver so not to bad a price for the work

Back