• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking/knocking noise in rear

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
I have 2 questions:

only while moving i hear a knocking sound like a rotational knocking (faster louder more knockking) but it stops when i stop im not sure what it could be it sound like the rear but not sure anyone know any answers???

my 4 lo works but im not sure if my 4 hi works i dont feel it engage and there arent 4wd lights on the dash at all does anyone know how to check this............?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

P.S.-1985 XJ 2dr
2.8 V6
4x4
Any other info on this particular model would be greatly excepted(like transmission?, transfer case?,etc)i already know the engine wasn't the greatest PLEASE NO COMMENTS ABOUT THE ENGINE

#1 check u-joints on the rear d-shaft possibly brakes mine was knocking and turned out to be the brakes...

#2 get in some grass in 2 wheel drive, spin put in 4 wheel, try to spin.. check bulbs, linkage..

HTH

When I did my SYE I noticed I had to mess with the linkage on the transfer case. The gears would not line up and lock in place resulting in a clicking/grinding noise. Might also be why your light is not coming on, its not fully engaged. Also agree you check u-joints.

Mothertrucker said:
any other ways to check my 4 hi??

Put the truck on jack stands and start it up in 4hi. All wheels should turn

Mothertrucker said:
any other ways to check my 4 hi??

Disconnect rear driveshaft at t-case.
Put front on jack stands( most people only have a pair )
put in 4wd and check.

OR

Remove rear drive shaft completely.( make sure to make reference marks so it goes back together in the same place )
Drive truck, if possible, in 4wd

Back