• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler line.. rubber hose length?

iBran

NAXJA Forum User
The high-pressure(?) line (the line that connects to the driver's side of the radiator) is leaking, where it connects to the rubber hose section.

Anyway, how long is that rubber section? I can only see ~1' from above... and I can't crawl underneath at the moment (it's outside at work)

Oh, and what's the diameter? Looks like 5/16 was mentioned in a few other threads...

It's a '94 4.0L, automatic.

my belt broke a while ago and tore that hose all to pieces and i just cut the connectors off both the metal lines, then just got a couple of feet of tranny cooler hose and double clamped it in place. no leaks so far.

XgeekstarX said:
my belt broke a while ago and tore that hose all to pieces and i just cut the connectors off both the metal lines, then just got a couple of feet of tranny cooler hose and double clamped it in place. no leaks so far.
So transmission cooler hose is a standard diameter? I assume 3' is more than enough?

Did you "flare" the metal tube before you slipped the hose on?

iBran said:
So transmission cooler hose is a standard diameter? I assume 3' is more than enough?

Did you "flare" the metal tube before you slipped the hose on?

yeah, just go into advance or somewhere and ask them for tranny cooler line. it comes in a pack with like 5 or 6 feet. you can flare it, but i was lazy and just spent an extra dollar on two more clamps and double clamped it. it's not really under that much pressure, so no leaks.

Examine your hose, does it have the plastic retainer in the fitting that connects to the radiator? Jeep updated the design with a metal retainer. I personally replaced the entire line - trans to radiator.

I got the new parts at the dealer, I figured with no gauge to tell me how the trans fuild it doing I better get a new part. It is cheap insurance to install a new line vs patching in a piece of hose.

I replaced both lines since I was not much more work and the rubber was 12 years old at the time.

Well, they had both 5/16 and 3/8" transmission cooler hose. They had some 2' sections sitting around that they pretty much gave to me, so I took one of each.

Is 24" long enough?

I have an 88 xj, with a 4.0, and ordered new lines from O'rielly, cost about $26.00, but came with the quick connects. It is one of those Dorman / HELP parts.

I just got back from the garage. For the record, the hose is about 15" long.

Anyways, I decided to skip the "hack job" and replace the whole line, steel tubing and all. I just didn't want to risk Dremel'ing those lines with too many flammable fluids around. Plus, after cutting them, there wouldn't be too much metal to clamp the hose to.

Props to you if you got it to work, but I just feel more comfortable replacing the whole thing. I think I'll install a transmission temp gauge while I'm at it, too :)

Back