• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Catalytic Converter

slade

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ with 123,000 plus miles. Needless to say my MIL started blinking and come to find out the catalytic converter falied. Any thoughts or recommendations for a replacement part. Some of the quotes from Jeep dealers are around $1000 to replace all the units plus labor costs. I also have no idea if there are non-Jeep specific parts, like flowmaster or other such companies, that manufactures replacement parts for my much loved but wounded XJ. I am also capable of replacing these parts myself.

I have a 88 and 96 XJ both with 4.0, I was able to get catalytic converters from NAPA and O'rielly's for about $200.00.

Thanks for the info, but it seems that our systems are a little different. There are two smaller catalytic converters right off the header, with corresponding O2 sensors before and after these units. The approximate size of these units are 4-5 inches in diameter and about 6 inches long. They are fed by two separate pipes (from what I can tell) and don't blend into one pipe until turning to head to the rear. How can I tell if it is an O2 sensor creating the problems or if it is truely a bad converter?

The fault code on the 01 will tell you which o2 sensor is reporting bad.

There is also a cat in front of the muffler. Not just the 02 cans at the manifold.

Thanks. I decided I have to take it to the Jeep Authorized Dealer to have it fixed. With the headache I have experienced over the course of the week, I decided the grand is worth parting with rather than years off my life. Thanks again for all the advice, and I will be more knowlegeable if the service repairman tries to railroad me.

slade said:
Thanks. I decided I have to take it to the Jeep Authorized Dealer to have it fixed. With the headache I have experienced over the course of the week, I decided the grand is worth parting with rather than years off my life. Thanks again for all the advice, and I will be more knowlegeable if the service repairman tries to railroad me.
Are there any good exhaust/muffler shops in your area? A cooworker has a YJ and when she took it for service to a dealer they quoted her an outragous amount of money for a replacement of a bad cat. Upon my advice she looked for a muffler shop, found one, and got it replaced for half the price.

Yes, they are telling me that since it is a 01 and Jeep doesn't think I should have enough miles on it to be a problem, there isn't a aftermarket part for it. My muffler guy was the one that told me I had to purchase a Jeep Authorized replacement part for it. The service station stated the same thing, apparently these cats are warrantied to 80,000 miles.

The problem turned out to be the wrong plugs. The Champion Truck plugs that I put in were the wrong ones. NGK plugs were the proper plugs for the 00 and 01 XJ's. This was throwing a misfire code which then prompted the o2 sensors to trip, thinking it was a cat problem. When the service guy pulled the plugs they were wet with gas and obviously fouled up. I changed them approximately three to four months ago. In case anyone was wondering.

Perhaps you had the wrong part# Champion plugs in it? Champions came stock on the Cherokee's, not NGK's. In fact I'm pretty sure that Champions have always been the OE plug for the 4.0. I'm the original owner of my 2001 so I should know. I have run Champions since new with no problems. Also have run Bosch Plats on our 98 GC 4.0, again no problems. The "truck" versions of the Champions are usually identical to the regular ones, just heavier-duty.

Back