• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel play wiggle test

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
after searching the forums on steering wheel play I gathered the following information (please correct me if I am wrong).

jack up (one or both sides at a time) and conduct the following:
grasp wheel at the top and bottom, continue to press in at the top and pull out at the bottom. if it wiggles it is ball joints.
grasp the wheel on the left and the right, continue to push in on the right and pull on the left. if it wiggles it is the tierods.

sound right?

thanks

It works great on the tires, but the steering wheel shouldn't wiggle.

Yes, If your tire has movement from top to bottom, you have a (or two) bad balljoints. If it has movement from side to side, get a new tie rod end (or two).

while doing the 'wiggle' test I had a helper do the wiggling and I laid under the jeep and looked at the tie rod ends and the ball joints.

upper left ball joint had some play as did the right outer tie rod end. the other ball joints and tie rod ends had no detectable movement.

so i figured it was the left upper ball joint and right outer tie rod end that were bad.

any other ways to check the wheel bearing assembly?

thanks

The wheel bearings will usually make a groaning sound inside the vehicle that increases with speed. If your vehicle is quiet at speed, there is probably nothing wrong with the wheel bearings.

Back