• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Spare XJ Remotes. $47.50 to program.

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
It will cost me $47.50 to program two remotes for my XJ at the dealer. Does that sound right to you? I watched them program the spare when I bought my jeep it took them 2 minutes. Any other options?

The stupid thing is that you can get the remote for .50 on ebay...

My local Jeep dealers wanted to charge me for it also but I've heard that some do it as a courtesy service. After I did further checking, I found a Dodge dealership that did mine for free. (guess where I buy my Jeep/Mopar parts from now; hint - it doesn't say Jeep on the building) :D

don't know about jeep remotes, but my experience from working at shops is that some remotes require special computers to get the car to accept them.

some shops have set fees for using those computers, other just charge for time which usually isn't very long. and some don't have anything set for it. so the price could technically also change from one service writer to another.

I have a '99 with a three button remote (lock, unlock, panic). You need the computer that plugs in under the driver's side dash. You can program the two button remotes yoursef...

Markos said:
Okay. I didn't know they had 97+ XJ's with two buttons. When did the 3 button remote come out?
From what I've seen they came both ways. My 97 XJ came with a 2 button remote but purchased a 3 button as a backup on ebay. The seller dealt in remotes and said that it would work. I took it over the the Dodge dealership and had it programmed and it works, even the panic feature. Go figure. :)

Back