• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Question

Kevlar

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have the chance to get a complete HP frront dana 44 (ds drop) out of a late model 1984 bronco 2. I was just how hard it would be to put this in my cherokee and if it is even close to the 59.5 stock axle width. Yes, I did do a search and all the dana 44 stuff I could find was for EB axles, not the later model ones.

thanks

Kevlar said:
Ok, I have the chance to get a complete HP frront dana 44 (ds drop) out of a late model 1984 bronco 2. I was just how hard it would be to put this in my cherokee and if it is even close to the 59.5 stock axle width. Yes, I did do a search and all the dana 44 stuff I could find was for EB axles, not the later model ones.

thanks

1984 Bronco II's came with a twin traction beam Dana axle, either an RS 28 or RS 35.

No Bronco II ever came with a 44 in either the front or the rear.

Bronco's came with 60" wide D-44's (low pinion), until 1976. They grew to about 67" in 1977.

The D44 that was under the 80 and newer F150's and full size Bronco's was a seperate entity. It was not a solid axle. It was what Ford called Twin Traction Beam. You really don't want to even think about trying to make that work. You would be going backwards. The D44 from the 74 up F150's had a high pinion. They were on the wider side.

Back