• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no clutch

haynesn12

NAXJA Forum User
i went out to start my truck this morning to go to class and i pushed in on the clutch and nothing it went straight to the floor. i checked and there was no fluid anywhere so i'm lost. my truck is an 88 mj with a 5 speed. it had been shifting hard into second when cold lately as well. any ideas on what it could be?

If your clutch fluid reservoir is still full and there's no leak, it's a dead cert that the slave cylinder has gone south. The only way you can replace it is to drop the tranny. :(

Dr. Dyno said:
If your clutch fluid reservoir is still full and there's no leak, it's a dead cert that the slave cylinder has gone south. The only way you can replace it is to drop the tranny. :(

Master....slave leaks when it goes bad. In my experiance.

Rev

master went away ...... slaves leak like a stuck hog when they go, if in fact you did look everywhere and theres no leak I.E. on the floor inside then the master is bypassing fluid around the cup inside itself.

Well Im not sure the market changes from place to place but dont go with the cheepest one I personally wouldnt even consider a reman......

yea i decided to look and found that i can get one for around 60 bucks. which i didnt figure was to bad. is there anything else that'll need to be replaced as well??

No just make sure you bleed the system until clean fluid comes out (itll make your slave cylinder last longer not having all those contaminates in it)

alright i am lost now. i had my truck towed to school last night and when i got there this morning the resevoir was empty. i filled it up and tried to bleed the clutch and it pushed a good stream of fluid out but the pedal didnt get any better. any ideas now?

check the rubber hose that goes from the steel line on the m/c to the tranny. that is what went bad on my '90. the rubber hose just plain rotted, until it finally started leaking- everything else was good. I ended up using a braided hose from a 4-cyl S-10, with matching fittings on the steel lines. no leaks in about 9 years.

OK you have got to have a leak somewhere .....master leaking onto the fuse panel, or rubber hose leaking near the transmission ,or fluid leaking out of the bellhousing just look it over real good man ......youll find it ohh small chance of the fingers worn through on the pressure plate too i guess

Don't feel too bad: Usually a good idea to replace clutch master and slave at the same time anyway.Dropping the tranny to get to the internal slave isn't as bad a job as it first looks. Easier to do with the transfer case attached. Just watch out for the two reverse head torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing, which everyone agrees are a PITA. Several extensions and an E12 socket will get them from inside the Jeep.

i'm an auto tech student so i have access to lifts and i have almost all the tools i could ever need so i'm not to worried about pulling the tranny. i am just gunna wait to do it till after christmas break because i'll have my new motor done. thanks for the info guys

Back