• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring bushings

HIWYH8R

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a RE 4" lift last year and have always had a problem with the spring bushings squeeking, creeking, groaning, and banging. I've tried all sorts of different greases but none seem to last long. RE says they are polyeurathane and offers no solutions. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks
Kel

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404600

a lil from the link

Walker Evans uses this as well as his sons racing team for a couple examples.

*Machinery exposed to wet conditions, steam, sprays, or underwater
*Suitable for bearings, seals, bushings, and open gears
*General purpose lubrication
*Marine lubrication
*Mining and heavy equipment
*Off shore drilling rigs
*Flexible geare3d couplings
*Transport vehicles

it is being used in off shore drilling rigs, HEAVY mining equipment, and transport vehicles

Anywhere grease is called for - this grease far exceeds OEM applications

Last edited:
HIWYH8R said:
I installed a RE 4" lift last year and have always had a problem with the spring bushings squeeking, creeking, groaning, and banging. I've tried all sorts of different greases but none seem to last long. RE says they are polyeurathane and offers no solutions. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks
Kel

Press out the polyurethane junk and press in rubber bushings. I just did this for Jes last weekend, he got them from RE.

I do not know if this will help but I have seen bolts with zerks built into them so that you can squirt grease into the middle of the bushing. I do not think I am making this up but I have an imagination. Sorry no link.

Katarn

I am not sure what version of the RE leafs you have, but the one I've got RE1462 the 4.5" models have stock style sleeved rubber bushing and there are a pain in the a$$ to replace, something along the lines of a 20ton press is needed. Specially if you live in the Northeast in the salt zone.

I thought mine were giving me problems, you know the knock-knock noises and everything, just turned out to be loose spring and shackle bolts. I tried like hell to replace them with the spring still under the jeep, not going to happen. Maybe you lucked out and got poly bushings, but I believe for the most prt they are the sleeved rubber style.

Have you tried a graphite based grease? They are made for these types of suspension applications. I've used it on all my bushings/springs a year ago and they're still pretty quiet.

One other thing I did was to buy a needle for my grease gun. It's basically a large hyperdermic needle, be careful, they're sharp! It comes in handy getting grease into tight areas that I would normally have to dissassemble to grease.
I always thought the bolts with the zerks built in were a good idea too, but don't have any experiance with them.

CartsXJ said:
I am not sure what version of the RE leafs you have, but the one I've got RE1462 the 4.5" models have stock style sleeved rubber bushing and there are a pain in the a$$ to replace, something along the lines of a 20ton press is needed. Specially if you live in the Northeast in the salt zone.

I thought mine were giving me problems, you know the knock-knock noises and everything, just turned out to be loose spring and shackle bolts. I tried like hell to replace them with the spring still under the jeep, not going to happen. Maybe you lucked out and got poly bushings, but I believe for the most prt they are the sleeved rubber style.

A good quality rubber bushing is far superior in ride quality and flexibility to poly.

You are correct that a press makes changing a sleeved rubber bushing easier, but other tools can work as well. First, torch out the existing bushing, then cut the metal sleeve in two places (Sawzall is great, but a hacksaw also works.) Now you are ready to press in the new bushing. A large ball joint press can be made to work, but a foot long piece of 1/2" all-thread, a couple of drilled plates, and an impact wrench also make a pretty good way to pull a bushing into the spring eye.

That green grease looks good. Do you know the color of the grease (green? or is that just because it's environment friendly?) I hate black colored greases because it looks like dirt/mud.

I used this on my poly bushings...
KU11004.jpg

it's really sticky stuff. Things were really quiet during the summer and fall, but now it's starting to get louder.

Last edited:
CRASH said:
A good quality rubber bushing is far superior in ride quality and flexibility to poly.

You are correct that a press makes changing a sleeved rubber bushing easier, but other tools can work as well. First, torch out the existing bushing, then cut the metal sleeve in two places (Sawzall is great, but a hacksaw also works.) Now you are ready to press in the new bushing. A large ball joint press can be made to work, but a foot long piece of 1/2" all-thread, a couple of drilled plates, and an impact wrench also make a pretty good way to pull a bushing into the spring eye.

i only cut the sleeve in one spot then use a flat head screw driver or chizel and bend one side up then it slides over, no need to cut it twice. also if you take a sledge hammer and hit the sleeve that the bolt goes through then heat it up it will shoot out like 20 feet, is rather cool and makes you jump the first time it happens. then take a saw zall and cut the rubber bushing in 2 or 3 places and it will come right out so you dont have to sit there and burn up all the rubber. poly is for race cars with stiff suspensions or sway bar bushings, rubber is much better for your springs and it doesnt crack and rip apart like poly.

Back