• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what shocks are u running??

xj89

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any exierience with bilstienes 5150 shocks. right now ive got the rutys shocks, and lets face it there really nothing to write home about. Im looking into either bilstienes 5150, OME, skyjkacker gas platnum shocks, orthe rancho 9000. im leaning more towards the 5150's what do u guys run and whats the best. im at about 4 inches of lift. with 32's.

i went from ranchos to the 5150's, all i can say about the 5150's is....."wow"
i will never run another shock.
xj89 said:
Anybody have any exierience with bilstienes 5150 shocks. right now ive got the rutys shocks, and lets face it there really nothing to write home about. Im looking into either bilstienes 5150, OME, skyjkacker gas platnum shocks, orthe rancho 9000. im leaning more towards the 5150's what do u guys run and whats the best. im at about 4 inches of lift. with 32's.

I don't really have any expeience w/a lifted XJ, but I know stock mine rhode like POS, but once I put in the Edelbrock IAS shocks it rhode like a million bucks. My CD player skips 90% less and i can take turns, that I used to take at 30, at 60 now. Now I'm sure that they make the normal IAS ones for lifts but I know that they make long travel ones also, I can just imagine the difference they would make, they have remote resevoirs (I know if I ever lift mine its going to be treated to them). But expect to pay for them I know the regular red ones (IAS base model) I paid around 60$. But they improved the ride so much I would have paid double with out thinking twice. If I remember correctly I think I've seen the long travel model for 150$ give or take.

Im not rich by anymeans and I would save up for 6 months-a year for the money to be avalailable before I bought another shock. This is the second vehicle I've had them on and I'm not disapointed.

I'm torn between OME long travel nitrochargers or thebilstein 5150s...
There is only like $20 difference per shock, but I'm just not sure if there is a big performance difference.

yea that why i made this thread theres just something about the 5150s and that remote resovior thats saying buy me buy me. the edelbrocks are a possibilty to however. my buddy runs OME and loves them, but i dunno need some more input from others.

255/70 10"travel is what i have on 6", but i'm running longarms.
99greenjeeper said:
what valving and how much travel would you want on the bilsteins for an Xj with 5" of lift?

i started out with edelbrock IAS. they rode really well, but were a little short. i think now they have extreme IAS that are probably worth looking into. i still have the IAS up front, but will eventually go with 10" 5150s. i've got the 8"5150s in the rear and like how it rides. i bought mine from rusty's for about $90 a pop. they were the cheapest i could find. btw, when i swap out the front shocks, i'll be using the 255/70 valving all the way around

i have 5150's up front and 5125's in the rear. it is freakin awesome! i run 35's on 6" of lift with long arms and i have no problems at all. the shocks keep everything under control. i think they actually do better at high speeds with bumps and all than slow. call up bilstein and tell them what kind of set up you have and they will suggest valving to ya. it will be 90% of the time the same as they suggest on their web site. i cant remember what it is. as far as travel goes, it all depends on your set up. measure full droop and full compression and look at the carts and see what fits you best. all i can say are they are the best shocks i have ever had, period.

another thumbs up for the 5150's here! 8" of lift, and the 12" travel ones. they work great.

so looks like im gonan go the bilstine route. since i really dont understand all those shock valving things, and lenghs and what not, should i just call bilstine tell them i have 4 inches of lift, and tell em what i need and theyl set me up?

99greenjeeper said:
So would 255/70 with 14"travel not work on an XJ with 5" of lift??

unless you bumpstop to the point that you have no up travel, then no they won't work.

xj89 said:
so looks like im gonan go the bilstine route. since i really dont understand all those shock valving things, and lenghs and what not, should i just call bilstine tell them i have 4 inches of lift, and tell em what i need and theyl set me up?

you could just call bilstein, but ideally you'll want to take some measurements. cycle your suspension with shocks and disconnects off, and then take measurements compressed and extended. from there you can get on their web site and figure out what length will work best for you. it is also a good time to see if there is any other factors limiting your flex.

Ok, n00b question. How can you tell if your shocks are bad? And can you get long travel shocks before you get your lift? Just curious. Shocks easier to come by than a lift atm. Also, what is TnT's website?

Thanks,
Silent

Silent said:
Ok, n00b question. How can you tell if your shocks are bad? And can you get long travel shocks before you get your lift? Just curious. Shocks easier to come by than a lift atm. Also, what is TnT's website?

Thanks,
Silent

If there is oil leaking out of your shocks at all.....or if you are going down the highway and your rig bounces up and down for 5 minutes after you hit a bump (like a hoopty), then your shocks are bad. :laugh3:

I guess you can get long travel shocks before you get your lift, but I wouldn't recommend installing them. The best way to figure out what shocks you need is to do your lift first and then measure the compressed and extended length you want....and order accordingly. That, however, can be a pain. Most lift kits come with the correct length shocks.

www.tntcustoms.com

RE Monotubes

Ok, then. What are the lifespan of shocks? And if I decided to replace them. What are some good ones to get, keep in mind rig is not lifted yet? Also, does TnT make prerunner bumpers?

Silent

I haven't had any experience with Bilstein's 5150, but I had a set of Bilstein7100's on my Ram and all I can say is that if I had the money right now I would buy a set of 7100's or 5150's, My experience with the 7100's was awesome. The best shock I've ever had. Plus, they are rebuildable.

Back