• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reprogramming OBDII for variable speed controlers?

gcurtis

Shirley Temple was a nug.
Converted to electric fans this weekend, and so far, couldn't be happier. However, I think I need to play with signals a bit.

Anyone ever access the OBDII and kick on the variable speed controller earlier than a dial can? If so, care to share tips?

fill me in a little about what your talking about and what fans yoru running.
seems to me you need a thermostat regulated switch that kicks on the fans at a certian temp dont' see why you want ot mess with the computer

bj-666 said:
fill me in a little about what your talking about and what fans yoru running.
seems to me you need a thermostat regulated switch that kicks on the fans at a certian temp dont' see why you want ot mess with the computer

The thermostat regulated switch actually picks up signals from A) coolant temperature and B) the motor's stock signals as to when to turn on the aux fan (220*) and C) AC turning on.

With the variable speed controller I'm having some success at getting the temp dialed in, but would like to be able to dial in the motor's signal as to when to turn on the aux fan. I've heard Rover guys have had success doing this via OBDII. I want to trick my variable to do the same, giving me infinately adjustable temp controlling depending upon climate (I wheel in Death Valley at times and this could be useful).

I'm running Flexalite's 210 package pulling 2500CFM and have trimmed the shroud to properly fit the radiator AND blocked off the overhang (past the core support) so that all suction is directed through the radiator. I've also spaced the aftermarket tranny cooler towards the grill and away from the radiator by an inch, which has also helped with tranny temps by about 20* and possibly with engine coolant temps.

i wouldnt mess too much with the computer. if you dick with it, it may mess up all the settings you have resulting is poor performance and poor gas mileage because if the computer reads that the engine is running cold (which is what i am assuming you are trying to do, modify the temp input to the computer) it will try and revert back to the warm up mode.

my suggestion to getting the aux fan to come on is to get an adjustable thermostat and wire the aux fan in series with the main fan. leave the aux fan hooked up stock, just splice in the power with the main fan, so that it will come on with the main. and if the main doesn't come on with the adjustable thermostat, at 220* they will both come on with the signal from the computer. I donno if that will work or not, but that's an idea. I just wouldnt mess with your computer...not a great idea.

Back