• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ill effects of vacuum canister removal and other vacuum/map questions?

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
i have removed my vacuum canister and capped the end. everything still works. cruise control doesnt downshift as easily on hills, which i would consider a good thing. will this positively or negatively affect my gas milage. also, i am running a 01 intake manifold on my 95. there are quite a few vacuum lines and connections around my fuel pressure regulator and map sensor. i am getting bad gas milage and think this may be causing it. i am thinking about getting a newer style TB with map mounted on the tb itself. i would like to eliminate any other un-necessary vacuum related components, what can i do?

thanks

Put the canister back. I believe that vacuum is crucial for engine efficiency and is an important part of the emissions system. Check that emissions label under your hood. It is a diagram of all the vacuum lines. The canister is like an air tank, except that it holds vacuum (if that makes sense). The canister is also very important for the proper operation of your climate control and cruise control. So there is no such thing as "unnecessary vacuum-related components".

defroster/heat all work 100% properly. brakes work fine. cruise works FINE. gas milage isnt different enough to be noticable. i am running a 01 intake and borla headers. cant tell the difference. what emissions components does it affect???

The entire emissions system relies on vacuum. I bet that if you tried to get your Jeep smogged in its present state...that it wouldn't pass.

And vacuum has a direct effect on gas mileage. I don't know the hows or whys, but I used to have a dash-mounted vacuum gauge in my car (back in the days of the '70s oil embargo). And the more vacuum you have, the better your mileage.

i tossed mine 2 years ago, everything works, and it passed emissions fine.
redyouch said:
defroster/heat all work 100% properly. brakes work fine. cruise works FINE. gas milage isnt different enough to be noticable. i am running a 01 intake and borla headers. cant tell the difference. what emissions components does it affect???

I think there are some other parts you can get rid of as well.

First off, I'd pull all wiring harness that doesn't make you feel good, play music loud or put lights on. Also, I'd yank ebrakes because you are never going to be in an emergency situation. I'd also pull bumpers and bumperettes, computers, switches that you never use and the spare tire.

I use my vacuum as it is part of my AC and keeps constant pressure under varied throttle, but I live in the southwest so what do I know.

I understand why people do good mods, but why do people do crappy mods just to mod? Did vacuum once offend you or date your sister?

if that's you idea of a "mod"...sure.

i pulled mine off when i did my bumper, never got around to putting it back on, everything works, so i guess my "mod" worked...:rolleyes:

im not some freaking idiot who just pulls things out for fun. i removed it. tested everything. and was just wondering what systems it directly influences. it doesnt give the cruise as much vacuum as before, meaning that it doesnt downshift as easily. i didnt need the 5th degree from anti-change man. i was just wondering who knew exactly what it affected other than the items i have already covered. thanks for your help. and if you dont have anything helpful to say, please dont post.

mack said:
if that's you idea of a "mod"...sure.

i pulled mine off when i did my bumper, never got around to putting it back on, everything works, so i guess my "mod" worked...:rolleyes:

Seems to be your idea of a mod as you boasted about it, "I tossed it", or pure laziness... but hell, it isn't my rig, what do I care?

The question was "what are the ill affects". The ill affects are that your AC doesn't work properly as a start.

i crushed mine during a wheeling trip a couple months back. the only time it would cause major issues is if you have a vacuum disconnect front axle. you would loose that function. otherwise it theoretically should mess up the cruise control and possibly the heater controls. but i believe that may have been on some of the older models. other than the disconnect axle if you loose anything it will only be creature comforts. nothing emissions or driving related.

i guess i have no "ill affects" because my AC works. but it's not your rig, so how would you know, right?
gcurtis said:
Seems to be your idea of a mod as you boasted about it, or pure laziness... but hell, it isn't my rig, what do I care?

The question was "what are the ill affects". The ill affects are that your AC doesn't work properly as a start.

gcurtis said:
I understand why people do good mods, but why do people do crappy mods just to mod? Did vacuum once offend you or date your sister?

installed a bumper and didnt feel like relocating it. good enough mod'?

mack said:
i guess i have no "ill affects" because my AC works. but it's not your rig, so how would you know, right?
PS never called it "mod"..so get it right.

thats the only point i was tryin to make.
redyouch said:
ac/heat/defrost all work properly and do the proper thing

redyouch said:
ac/heat/defrost all work properly and do the proper thing

You seem to know everything, why even ask the question? IF you've disconneted the vacuum canister and are blaring AC while climbing a hill, it WILL have a negative affect on AC. That isn't fiction, it is fact.

could everybody please stop bickering about the "modly-ness" of this, i just want to know the pros/cons of removing it totally. if you dont have anything good to contribute please dont post. thanks

gcurtis said:
You seem to know everything, why even ask the question? IF you've disconneted the vacuum canister and are blaring AC while climbing a hill, it WILL have a negative affect on AC. That isn't fiction, it is fact.

actually going up a hill would usually cause a downshift and higher engine RPMs; this would result in more vacuum from the engine.

please dont post if you dont know what you are talking about or are just out there to start a fight. thanks

well...i'm out, have fun...:laugh3:

Back