• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Bye a/c??

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
My A/C pump or clutch is making a ton of noise, grinding sounds. There is no freon in it because it has a leak and I can't see fixing it on a trail rig. Sooo, my question is this, when I pull the A/C compresser out I need a new belt routing diagram can someone provide this for me? Was also wondering if I could then put the alternator up high in its spot?

digger4u said:
My A/C pump or clutch is making a ton of noise, grinding sounds. There is no freon in it because it has a leak and I can't see fixing it on a trail rig. Sooo, my question is this, when I pull the A/C compresser out I need a new belt routing diagram can someone provide this for me? Was also wondering if I could then put the alternator up high in its spot?
umm what year?

somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

i don't believe you can eliminate the a/c without putting something in it's place. the factory on both my 95xj and 97tj used idle pulleys to take up the space of the deleted item. the belt diagram therefore stays the same. so you basically have the option of finding a pulley from a non a/c vehicle, getting a used replacement a/c compressor and using it for onboard air, or find a way to install a used york a/c compressor and using it for onboard air.

PS: i have actually played with possible belt routings, and i came up with an idea to do it but you would have to change 1 or 2 of the pulleys. it was a while ago so i don't remember the exact setup but could probably figure it out again.

Of course this cant be easy, you no like take off broken part go to napa buy new belt with a/c delete, install same. 5 minute job!

I took the A/C out of my '90 and moved the alt up there. Its not to hard to do. I also don't have the fan pulley since Im running dual electric. I used a alternator bracket from a 2.5L commanche and fab'd a lower bracket extended down to where the origonal alt bracket was mounted. You will have to measure the belt length and get a shorter one.

AlternatormodDSC01558Small.jpg

DSC01556Small.jpg

Nice engine compartment MachineMan. I have an '89 with 248,000 original miles...not near as clean and tidy! You obviously take great care of your rig. I like your air intake...what brand?

Although I'd love to mount the alternator up higher (out of the water), my AC still works, and I'm reluctant to give up the comfort. I have on-board air via a Viair compressor mounter in the rear. Works for now...

Did you take your belt off just to show how to measure? Wow.

Flyfisher said:
I like your air intake...what brand?
Rusty's intake and I made a sheet metal heatshield.

The picture is from when I used a tape measure to determine what size belt needed after removing the A/C and fan pulley.

I still have my working A/C compressor and other A/C components incase anyone is looking to buy some used replacements.

Wow machineman, nice job with raising the alternator! You could always replace the A/C with a blower. A blown 4.0 sounds like a boss idea.

Back