• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auburn gear locker

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I just read that auburn gear has introduced an electric locker for the dana 30 and 35. I have a 1992 Cherokee with the dana 30 up front and had a couple of questions:
1) Since this unit operates as a limited slip in normal mode, can you run a limited slip in the front with full time locked hubs. Ideally I would like to install a manual hub conversion but the addional price is too much for now.
2) Second, what are your opinions on an electric locker as opposed to an air or or cable actuated locker.

Any opinions would be helpfull. Thanks

Yes. I've been running a TrueTrac l/s in my front D30 for several years. You'll find quite a few daily drivers with a front limited slip.

I am also considering a Tru trac l/s but I like the idea of having a full time limited slip with the option of a selectable locker as in the Auburn Ected unit.
The only problem I see is the cost. I'm sure it is going to be expensive since it is both limited slip and a locker.

i currently have the ECTED unit in my 8.8 it is a full carier unit and operates using a series of ramps with balls on them to squeeze the clutch packs together causing it to lock up. (there is a much better description of this on there web page).

no onto my personal opinion i may just have one of the earlier units before they perfected it but on tight turns on pavement with it locked i can get it to pop. not what i want from a supposed "locker". some nifty things about this unit are that it is a limited slip when open unlike many others. it is pushing clutch packs together so it can be engaged at any speed unlike arb or other that engage gears and need to be done with equal movement on both tires. it did come complete with all wiring needed to hook up as well as a fitting to install after drilling the housing.

Reliabilty would be my concern,theres not enough of them out there for a long enough period to really evaluate them yet.

I have installed several of the Ected's into 8.8's. The thing is awsome and I have had no complaints.
I will put one into my D30 once they become available. and into my D44 when that time comes.
And cost is not an issue. The ected is priced well, or at least last time I checked. lets just say that it won't break your bank. much less than an ARB and OX.
The first one I ever installed into an 8.8 was over a year and a half ago. in a pre-runner. and he still loves it.

no doubt a good unit but if your lookin for a 100% lockup don't go this route. i have also spoken to a few other people on pbb who have the ected and they had similar probs with them not holding 100% locked.

I have had mine in and running pretty harsh trails for almost two years with ZERO problems.

Mine locks up like a vault. Put it on and try to turn...you'll know in less than 2 seconds that the rear is LOCKED. On the street, It chirps and squeals with any turn of the wheels.
It being LS when its off is a real plus and one of the biggest reasons for my getting it. Mine was a DD when I made the purchase and I am glad I did it. With the easier trails I hardly even need the rear locked. It works very well in my TJ!! I couldn't be more satisfied.

CW

Back