• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I already searched

az4wheeler2002

NAXJA Forum User
so maybe someone can help me here, just bought a '90 xj 4.0 for my little brother, he'll be turning 16 next month and the xj only cost 900$ but can't seem to find a cold air intake, throttle body, chip.. was this the bastard year. did I make a bad purchase based on the year? is their anything cool aftermarket that he would like

Don't waste your money on "performance" crap unless its a supercharger. Its just not worth it on a 4.0L.

Nobody makes a chip for the Renix any more. Most other mods don't yield all that much. The 4.0L is a quite strong engine for its size to start with.

There are plenty of aftermarket things available for the 90 4.0. Including cold air intake, TB spacers, bored TB, etc, etc. No chips that I am aware of though.

Michael

Let little bro learn how to use the stock power first...save the money to replace the broken parts he will generate.

well 90 isnt a bad year. if you got a standard, which i hope u did cuz autos r gay, u got an ax15. good tranny. u got he renix motor, which is good as well becasue its simpler and easy. dont spend money on a cold air intake.. thats a waste. u can make your own easy. the throtle body spacers are out there as well. im not sure about the specifics, but you can also get ford 5.0 injectors for it as well i think. but who cares. tune it up and make sure all is well. then lift it.

xj armor makes smog-legal cold air kits, as well as TB spacers.

2xtreme said:
There are plenty of aftermarket things available for the 90 4.0. Including cold air intake, TB spacers, bored TB, etc, etc. No chips that I am aware of though.

Michael

do you know what manufactuers makes these?
some of you guys were mentioning to let him experience the stock motor, but I'm running a '95 w/ cold air, tb spacer, chip borla from header back. it's just him trying to be where I'm at

Last edited:
az4wheeler2002 said:
do you know what manufactuers makes these?
some of you guys were mentioning to let him experience the stock motor, but I'm running a '95 w/ cold air, tb spacer, chip borla from header back. it's just him trying to be where I'm at

I would not be the right person to give you advice on this. I think if you search under each part you will find a good variety of information.

I have built my own cold air intake, no TB spacer yet, HO exhaust about to go on. I know that there are a variety of companies that make the cold air intake (from $50-$200). There are several for TB spacers (about $80). No chips.

Searching should find you some good starts.

Michael

new jeep performance mod......
1) budjet boost
2) 3 inch lift
3) tires
4) recovery gear

aww i remember my first truck, if i had more power i would have still got stuck, however if i had more lift and bigger tires i could have gotten out....well maybe. that 4wd john dere made it and his tires were only slightly larger right?

CRASH said:

ok that was probably the worst website that I've ever seen, seriously alittle metal tube and a basic cone filter and call it an intake, how would sucking all the hot air from the engine bay be any better than cooler air from the fenderwell or behind the front core support.....hillbilly engineering, I can't believe anyone buys that

i agree that you should let him have fun with it as it is. until your sure that it won't throw you any nasty surprises, save your money to fix it. once your comfortable with it then you can start moding. and depending on what he starts wanting to do he may not want a cold air intake but a snorkel instead. don't stick to much money into a used vehicle until you've had it for a few months. those "hundred" dollar vehicles tend to start coughing up furballs right after you buy them.

if i had more lift and bigger tires i could have gotten out

more lift and bigger tires only get you stuck in even deeper mud that you wouldn't have tried before. LOL

scorpio_vette said:
more lift and bigger tires only get you stuck in even deeper mud that you wouldn't have tried before. LOL

Isn't that the truth, just got stuck tonight about 6 inches above the bottom of my door, pulled everything out, think I'm gonna get some rhino lining to go in after I pull the padding tomorrow.

As for performance, don't waste money on a spacer, just bore out the TB. You'll be surprised.

az4wheeler2002 said:
ok that was probably the worst website that I've ever seen, seriously alittle metal tube and a basic cone filter and call it an intake, how would sucking all the hot air from the engine bay be any better than cooler air from the fenderwell or behind the front core support.....hillbilly engineering, I can't believe anyone buys that

It is, as far as I know, the only California smog legal air tube for a Renix XJ. It may be redneck, but he did the legwork and got a CA ARB EO#, which is worth it's weight in gold.

If you want cold air into the Renix motor, buy an ARB snorkel.

az4wheeler2002 said:
I'm running a '95 w/ cold air,
az4wheeler2002 said:
ok that was probably the worst website that I've ever seen, seriously alittle metal tube and a basic cone filter and call it an intake, how would sucking all the hot air from the engine bay be any better than cooler air from the fenderwell or behind the front core support
What kind of cold air intake do you have?

Back