• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats this stuff under the hood?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Some XJs have it some don't. 97-01, years don't matter I have a '99 with the stuff in the corner and seen 99s without it. Only difference is the t-cases, but I doubt thats it.

(forget about the circle and arrow), just look in the upper left corner (passenger side):

with:
vacball.JPG

without:
52743496.jpg

Also forget about the black round ball, that the relocated vaccum compartment thingee thats behind the stock bumper. Thats how I realized this cause mine couldn't be mounted there.

air conditioning, and the vacuum ball is cruise control vacuum. have a nice day... buy yourself a haynes manual for questions like this.

Evaporative emissions equipment. Don't mess with it under penalty of law. ;)

ricot83 said:
air conditioning, and the vacuum ball is cruise control vacuum. have a nice day... buy yourself a haynes manual for questions like this.
The vaccum Reservoir does more than just cruise. All the enviromental controls are vaccum driven as well.

ricot83 said:

Not that already know what that is, good try though. I'll continue to use the forum, this is why its here. have a nice day.

Last edited:
Lawn Cher' said:
Evaporative emissions equipment. Don't mess with it under penalty of law. ;)

Thanks, so why would one 99 XJ have it and another not? Along with a 98 that has it and a 2000.

ZachMan said:
Thanks, so why would one 99 XJ have it and another not? Along with a 98 that has it and a 2000.
I still don't know what your looking at, but if it's the fuel tank vent the in the years your asking about Califorina emission had them and other States did not.
Now the all have them.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
I'm not sure, but just from reading the responses I'll say cruise control also. That would account for why some don't have it.

Arrh not that, its not circled. forget the arrow and circle and forget the canister I know exactly what it is and what it does. I was moving mine into the engine bay and thats when I noticed these two differences.

I'm pretty sure it's an evaporative control, and although I don't have one of that vintage to look at, I thought some of them had that part on the other side. If it's the thing I'm thinking about, it comes up here from time to time here because it makes a rattling noise. I tesdt drove a late model XJ with my son last year, and it rattled, and I'm pretty sure I saw that part or one like it over on the driver's side firewall.

Anyway, can't you just trace where that black hose goes to figure out what it's for?

Here:

enginebay.jpg

I oculd not mount my cannister there because I have this stuff in the way:

vacball.jpg

My XJ was born and raised in Alabama and the others we were comparing arn't from CA either.

Matthew Currie said:
I'm pretty sure it's an evaporative control, and although I don't have one of that vintage to look at, I thought some of them had that part on the other side. If it's the thing I'm thinking about, it comes up here from time to time here because it makes a rattling noise. I tesdt drove a late model XJ with my son last year, and it rattled, and I'm pretty sure I saw that part or one like it over on the driver's side firewall.

Anyway, can't you just trace where that black hose goes to figure out what it's for?

Thank you.

I am again reminded why I originally wanted a white cherokee. I doesn't suck up all the daylight like the black one I bought. Oh well.

Back