• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck in fulltime 4wheel drive

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i was wheelin at hollister, ca and when i was about to drive back i put it in 2w drive and it wouldnt go the light for 4wheel went off but its was still in 4wheel. some people have told me its the vaccum lines, i know where it is and what it does but i dont know how it works exactly and dont know how to fix it either. also my alternator went out -this sux-. what could be the problem here?

Shomsky462 said:
i was wheelin at hollister, ca and when i was about to drive back i put it in 2w drive and it wouldnt go the light for 4wheel went off but its was still in 4wheel. some people have told me its the vaccum lines, i know where it is and what it does but i dont know how it works exactly and dont know how to fix it either. also my alternator went out -this sux-. what could be the problem here?
1. Do you have vaccum actuated front axle? Also IIRC the common failure on the vaccum actuated setups is opposite: you got 2wd. Anyways, get underneath the jeep and see if you can manualy help the arm sticking out of the tcase to get into 2wd. Common causes are: worn linkage bushings, worn engine/transmission mounts.
2. Alternator: well, did you get it wet? if not recently then in the past X time did you get it in a situation where it'd be submerged (especially in clean murky water).
3. For more answers look here

Last edited:
are you running all tires the same size, wear, and pressure? the 242 is picky. this happend to me once. i took off my front driveshaft and it popped right into 2wheel. its worked fine since.

my tires are all the same size, i just got them a couple of weeks ago 33's. they are all the same pressure and i have a 231. for the alternator yes i went through a fat mud hole. as for the transfer case do you think smashing down on the cross member had something to do with it? its pretty bent in, not too bad but probably not good. thanx for the info

Shomsky462 said:
do you think smashing down on the cross member had something to do with it? its pretty bent in, not too bad but probably not good. thanx for the info
ding ding ding here's a winner :D your linkage is all misadjusted now.
option 1: replace the crossmember and call it a day
option 2: temporarily readjust the linkage till you can replace the crossmember
option 3: or manually shift it into 2wd from underneath till you can replace the crossmember
option 4: try a bfh on the crossmember (after removing it from the jeep ofcourse) to see it if you can temporarily get it somewhat straightened till you can replace it

Shomsky462 said:
for the alternator yes i went through a fat mud hole
And here's what I would call a twofer :D While flowing water isn't necessarily bad for the alternator, mud on the other hand is a killer as it might leave mud(wow!) inside :D

hahah thanx for the info but how can i manually shift it into 2wd? i was just under it and coudlnt figure it out. i can shift the t case shifter into 2wd but it doesnt go into 2wd. about the crossmember, do you think i could bend it back with a bfh and temporarily fix it or could that be a permanent fix? i was thinkin about making reinforcements on the crossmember, like tubes onboth sides underneath my frame. or would sliders take care of that? cause i just ordered some of ajs 3/16th rock rails. oh and for the alternator i went in the huge mud hole and that was deep but after that i went in a water hole but i dont know if that one was that deep but do you think that would clear it out? i mean the water clearing the mud out?

Shomsky462 said:
hahah thanx for the info but how can i manually shift it into 2wd? i was just under it and coudlnt figure it out. i can shift the t case shifter into 2wd but it doesnt go into 2wd.
That little lever arm sticking out of the tcase is what needs to shift all the way over. You might have to temporarily disconnect your linkage to relieve the tension. On the other hand you might as well adjust it into 2wd by playing with the length of the rod (search for adjusting linkage and you should find plenty hits).
about the crossmember, do you think i could bend it back with a bfh and temporarily fix it or could that be a permanent fix?
The way I see it is you'll get plenty excersice after pounding with a 20lb sledge and then you'll still have to get a new crossmember :D They are kind of a PITA to straighten after they bend.
was thinkin about making reinforcements on the crossmember, like tubes onboth sides underneath my frame. or would sliders take care of that?
Crossmember and sliders are two separate creatures. Search on mod tech for crossmembers as there are some pretty nice designs out there.

Back