• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone offer assistance for stick welding?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I think this is where this should go. After reading some threads about floor pan rusting, I felt worse than before I read them. I have a hole under my left foot just behind the left front wheel. I'm not a professional welder, but I can stick weld OK. The problem is I don't know what stick to use for thin materials. What would work best for 1/16" stock on the floor pan? I usually play with the heat on scrap material until I get it right. I've never mig or wire welded and don't know how to use one- that's why I'm asking about sticks, I don't know if very many use them anymore.

I just replaced a rocker with a MIG and it worked really well. Used .35 flux-cored at the lowest setting. Gas would be better I'm told but that's extra $$.

I took a stick welding class to get the basics and then bought my 175 Amp Lincoln Electric MIG. If you can stick weld, you can flux-core MIG - it's a little easier in my mind. It's all about arc and puddle anyways. For sheet metal, you might want to plug weld, and I don't know how easy that is with stick.

If you can get access to a MIG, I'd say use that. Might be a lot less hassle. If not, then someone who uses stick should chime in!

ok, if you absolutely need to use stick (whitch i dont recomend ) use 7018 3/32 or smaller or you could even use 309 stainless 1/16 ( dont know if they make 7018 1/16) but the truth is an oxy/ accy torch would do better than stick for what you are doing. the best would be mig or tig and welding is welding, heat, puddle, flow, add filler, move.

Well, I definately don't know anything about gas welding, so I'll find a wire-fed and try it. Is it really the same welding with a wire-fed? Ok, I'll try it.

Thanks.

My welder has guide to tell you what wire speed and amp setting to use based on the guage of the material and the wire size. My 175 Amp welder was turned down to the lowest setting - but the settings are labelled A,B,C,D,E so I don't really know how low A is.

I would recommend .023" wire for sheetmetal work,most of the XJ is only 20-22GA.

you can do it with a stick. i'd use a 6013 if it's clean, 6011 or 6010 if it's kinda grungy. get the smallest one you can, go in short bursts, no welds more that 1/2 inch long, skip around and let it cool often. it also helps to have a piece of scrap right in the truck by you, crack the rod on the scrap, then go at your project with a warm tip on the rod, makes striking an arc alot easier.
good luck, kent

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, they normally sell those shitty 110V 75A stick welders that dont do chit, but anyway, get the 1/16" rods, they should be small enough to do sheet metal!

Good luck..
Andrew

Back