• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redneck & Backwoods, yet why wouldn't it work?

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
I've been frustrated with my double beadlocks to say the least. They do their job although I've got 3 bent rims now. I can straighten them out half way descent, but mounting & dismounting is a royal PIA. I litterally spent 5 hours trying to dismount a cut tire the other day. So, I'm looking at going a different direction.

The one stipulation I've got is, it needs to be a double lock of some sort. I've been looking at & thinking about the Staun inflatable locks when I stumbled on this post on pirate "MuttLocks" Ever Since I've been trying to figure out why this wouldn't work? Basically it is the Staun locks, but replacing the Staun kevlar sleeve with a small tire. My plan would be to get some cheap steel wheels, weld on a bead / wheel protector (rock ring), & get some worn out low pro tires that the tire shops going to chuck anyway. All together this setup would cost me in the neighborhood of $100-$150 per wheel at the most & would be transferable to any wheel I wanted. What am I missing?

Matt

This could work on my budget buggy project. Interesting. Is there enough width on the bead to seat both tires? This looks like a potential problem to me. Also, how would you inflate the outside tire?

if the low pro tires are stiff enough they may work perfect if they dont' seat all the way on the rim. those low pro tires are very stiff giving dificulty to even tire mounting machines so even with zero air they may hold the bead of the outside tire firm enough to prevent loss of bead. and if they did not seat on the bead enough for the inner (low pro) tire to hold air then a standard valve could be used. or you could poke a hole in the lo pro tire for air to pass thru

Jes said:
That you're a back country hick retard?
:wave:

Billy,
I'm running Stazworks double beadlocks. They work just like Hummer rims.

Brett,
The problem is that I don't know if I'd even want the dished centers. They should take care of the bending problem, but doesn't address the PIA they are to mount / dismount. I'm sure I could send him back my rims & let him weld in new centers. I may do that & sell them afterwords. Being able to mount & dismount using a tire machine would be sooooooo much easier.

Yes I could use implement tires, but a 205. 40. R17 would give me the lowest profile sidewall (I think this would be important?) at only about 3" of sidewall. If I can't find a used set than I may just get some new cheapies. Thumbing through the Jegs catalogue I found some for $68 ea... In order to air up the outer tire seperate from the inner you just need to run some small nylon straps from the top of the valve stem, around the bead of the inner tire inbetween & the bead of the outer tire. This gives the air a pathway to follow. This is the same way Staun does it. As I said before this is exactly Stauns concept except replacing their kevlar sleeve with another tire. The more I consider this, the more I want to do it...

Matt

hope your joking....... because tubes don't keep the tire on at low psi

bj-666 said:
hope your joking....... because tubes don't keep the tire on at low psi
ahh - BUT a smaller innertube for a tire that you kept fully inflated would sandwich the tire between the rim and the tube...

have you ever inflated a tube they just keep getting bigger and bigger and won't do what ya want. unles you have some way to containthe tube it won't work

kinda defeats the purpose of this whole idea, having an easily removable tire but still have the bead locked. this dual tire thing is a good idea if the inner tire seats enough to hold it centered otherwise you'll have some ballance issues but i guess all that is left is for someone to try it.

anyone got any pics of stauns inflation system just not making sense in my head as it is described.

FarmerMatt said:
I may do that & sell them afterwords.
Matt

What size/bolt pattern are they? First in line?
xmasfingersx.gif

Billy

Seems like a lot of work to mount but I think it would work well and address several problems.
It would be a dynamic beadlock rather than passive. IOW, it would allow some bead movement if really forced to and then jam it right back into place. This could help keep a tire from tearing a sidewall in some circumstances where the bead was completely locked (bolted) in place.
If you did burp the air out or get a flat in the main tire it would definately aid in getting you off the trail, sort of an emergency run flat.
The inner tire would act like a "bump stop" for your wheel. Protecting it from bending on a big hit.

Hick-tech or not, I like it.
However, I am from Indiana. :farmer:

FarmerMatt said:
All together this setup would cost me in the neighborhood of $100-$150 per wheel at the most & would be transferable to any wheel I wanted. What am I missing?

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Being able to mount & dismount using a tire machine would be sooooooo much easier.

Take the $600 it would cost to implement your redneck tire-inside-a-tire idea and buy a used tire mounting machine.

kid4lyf said:
Seems like a lot of work to mount but I think it would work well and address several problems.
It would be a dynamic beadlock rather than passive. IOW, it would allow some bead movement if really forced to and then jam it right back into place. This could help keep a tire from tearing a sidewall in some circumstances where the bead was completely locked (bolted) in place.
If you did burp the air out or get a flat in the main tire it would definately aid in getting you off the trail, sort of an emergency run flat.
The inner tire would act like a "bump stop" for your wheel. Protecting it from bending on a big hit.

Hick-tech or not, I like it.
However, I am from Indiana. :farmer:

ditto, i think internal locking devices are the future of beadlocks for the reasons you just listed.

Have you looked at, or considered the new Hutchinson DOT legal beadlocks? The same double lock as the military version, but in a 15", and 17" dia. with better backspacing and much better looks.

Back