• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody use Rubicon Express' 2" add a leaf??

dont get a half leaf, if you must resort to getting an aal, get a full length one. even then you wont be near as happy with it as you would with full leaf packs. if you cant afford full packs, shop around for something used. someone somewhere has used them before and a good chance they posted about it here, try searching around if you must.

X 2 on avoiding 1/2 leafs. I have the full length 2" RE AAL on mine. Works well, somwhat firmer ride than stock, holds up to heavy cargo (200+ lbs) after 1+ year of use. I left the main leaf on the truck and installed the AAL that way, that avoids having to fight with any possibly stuck leaf spring bolts.

I did the half-length AAL when I did my Budget Boost - you'll cringe every time you get under there afterward because the ends of the half-spring push into the middle of the stock, sagging springs. Get the full-length and at least the AAL will support the whole spring instead of focusing on the middle. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/jeeplift.html

cool. looks like the full length aal is the way to go. I looked at their whole package, which comes with Doetsch-tech shocks. I've not heard any raves about these, and I don't like the exposed piston on it- rubber boots suck, too. I might get the parts separately and just go with Monroe sensatrac's from autozone for $30 bucks each. They have a double metal sleeve design.

No big issues with the DT3000s here, and for awhile that's all the cool kids were running until they moved on to the Bilstein 5100s. You will almost certainly need new shocks though since the BB extended mine almost to the max when sitting level.

rangerjoe2001 said:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

ive done one of these on a jeep.. best riding leaf pack setup i have seen.. i'd reccomend it to anyone.. add leafs for desired ammount of lift

yeah, that was my other option. One of the problems is finding zj coils! They can be found from a 4.0 zj all day, but from a V8, or a V8/up country is even harder! I found a set of V8 coils at a local yard, and they want $50 bucks for them, where I can get 2" spacers for half that. They wanted $50 bucks EACH for the xj leaf packs!

X3 on the half leafs... went wheelin and the pack shifted out, started grooving my tire. Needless to say 2 days later the tire was toast!!!

I did not have a good experience with the full length Rubicon AAL's. I added them to a new stock height spring pack with a 1.5" lift shackle for what should have been 4" of lift. My total lift was only about 2.5-3". I called RE and they basically said too bad and there was nothing they could do about it.

I pulled the AAL's out about a week later to put in a full lifted spring pack (from another manufacturer), and one of the RE AAL's was almost flat. When you set them both on the ground next to each other one AAL's sits about 1.5" lower. I e-mailed them about it and never heard anything back. I know everyone here raves about Rubicon Express, but that was the second bad exprience I had with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Back