• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best damn snow vehicle ever

Highmiles

NAXJA Forum User
Did anyone see the snow that hit New England yesterday? I had to drive 75 miles from Framingham MA to Portsmouth NH in it. I was in the heaviest part of the weather, from 1PM to about 4 PM, but the rig made it with no issues. Can't say the same for dozens of other SUV's, cars and pickups that were scattered all over the median. First time I've ever seen full size snow plows skidded into the median too.

Oh, and I rolled 194,000 on the ride home.... Why did DC ever stop making these?

Highmiles said:
Did anyone see the snow that hit New England yesterday? I had to drive 75 miles from Framingham MA to Portsmouth NH in it. I was in the heaviest part of the weather, from 1PM to about 4 PM, but the rig made it with no issues. Can't say the same for dozens of other SUV's, cars and pickups that were scattered all over the median. First time I've ever seen full size snow plows skidded into the median too.

Oh, and I rolled 194,000 on the ride home.... Why did DC ever stop making these?
We were lucky here- didn't get hit likt you guys did. Except for the tail of the storm. The wind did a lot of damage.

My experience taught me that how well the Jeep goes through snow depends on what kind of tires are on it and the depth of tread on those tires. Right now I'm running Mastercraft Courser LT tires with 50-60% tread and we just had a big snow here. Performance is diminished compared to new tires.

Highmiles said:

well according to my odometer, you should have a lot of life left in that xj.
290,000miles and still running super strong absolutely no problems. 'nuff said.

sorry to bring the bad news i just blew mine with 224k but she did not lead an easy life last few years the motor was subjected to full throttle assults on any thing worth some go juice and i did fill the motor with water a few weeks before teh #1 rod blew thru the bottom of the oil pan:laugh3:

Cap'n, you need to keep your work and play seperate. Boats aren't suppose to climb ledge and jeeps aren't supposed to go underwater. Hey Mike! Who do I call to get him retested?

I was thinking the same thing... I had to drive from Springfield, MA to Middletown, CT in that storm yesterday. I saw one SUV on it's side and lost count at how many were in the median. My 148,000 mile, 1987 XJ, made it through like a champ.

Griz. i knew i was doing somethign wrong maby with the new motor i'll keep it a little dryier.:laugh3:

Well, second best at least

With good tires an XJ is pretty hard to beat, for sure, but I must say that it is not quite as unstoppable as a Scout 800 (Dana 44 pow-r-lok standard) with a nice fresh set of bias-ply Town and Country sand retreads.

Re: Well, second best at least

i got high centered in some snow yesterday. And my jeep has 5.5" lift with 33" MTs.

I guess attempting to drive over a 5' high bank of fresh and soft packed snow wasn't such a good idea. 20 minutes of digging, and one couch cushion later, I was free.

The cushion was lined with wood, so it was really actually the side/arm rest of a couch. I used it in a similar fashion to that of what someone would do with floor mats. I only had one handy so I hit the front ARB switch and off I went.

bj-666 said:
sorry to bring the bad news i just blew mine with 224k but she did not lead an easy life last few years the motor was subjected to full throttle assults on any thing worth some go juice and i did fill the motor with water a few weeks before teh #1 rod blew thru the bottom of the oil pan:laugh3:
maybee she'll float if ya run dual Q78's all the way around. :)

Re: Well, second best at least

90Pioneer said:
i got high centered in some snow yesterday. And my jeep has 5.5" lift with 33" MTs.

I guess attempting to drive over a 5' high bank of fresh and soft packed snow wasn't such a good idea. 20 minutes of digging, and one couch cushion later, I was free.

The cushion was lined with wood, so it was really actually the side/arm rest of a couch. I used it in a similar fashion to that of what someone would do with floor mats. I only had one handy so I hit the front ARB switch and off I went.

Thats interesting, where the hell do you find a handy couch out in a snow storm, no, wait, I don't want to know...

Interesting observation. I noticed the same thing when I lived in the snow belt, (WI, IN, NH). The median would be littered with Explorers, Broncos, 4-Runners, and all the other soccer mom rigs, but no Jeeps. I don't know if it's just that Jeeps are better for driving in the snow or, more likely, people who drive jeeps are better at driving in bad conditions. The average soccer mom probably thinks she can jump in her new SUV, push that little button on the dash and just drive like hell through the ice and snow.

its funny i agree with the jeeps comment. and jeep drivers i dunno bout, they seem to be just as bad, soccer moms just don't cut it, "4wd makes it much easier to stop and go" NOPE!!!!!!!

I got stuck for about 10 minutes yesterday-

about 8 inches of snow, and still coming down heavily, I see a guy trying to push a stalled Accord off to the side, so I pull over to help, but pull over too far and end up sliding down to the bottom of the ditch at the side of the road.

I try for about 10 minutes to climb back up the steep hill, do nothing but throw snow, and eventually grass and mud, into the air,- meanwhile 2 dozen cars have passed, probably laughing at the idiot in the jeep spinning his tires.,

then I realize I can just drive in the ditch parallel to the road for about 100ft to where it's more level.-- that got me out

so in my experience, the jeep works great in snow

as long as you are on flat ground.

Wow ... original motor? Tranny? What kind of work have you done on it? I just bought a '91 Cherokee, and put in a remanufactured motor, and I'm willing to put in a rebuilt tranny as necessary. I love this little Jeep and plan on keeping it forever.

91Limited said:
well according to my odometer, you should have a lot of life left in that xj.
290,000miles and still running super strong absolutely no problems. 'nuff said.

actually its got the original 4.0, original tranny, everything still works(original power locks, windows, seats, overhead compass & temp guage) doesnt burn oil, rides nicer than the 93 dodge dakota and the 2000 ford explorer in our family, no major work has ever had to be done to it(which probably means that something is about to break...but im enjoying it while it lasts :) ), also the body is in perfect condition, i have only had to fix a dime sized rust spot. I could go on for hours about how amazed i am with my jeep.(all the way down to the leather being in still good condition)

I really love my jeep, and if anyone here is thinking about buying one, i doubt you'll be dissappointed if you do :)

Back