• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix bored TB users...

Probibly not that it matters, but I just went threw the calfiornia emmissions testing last month. I have the Renix 59.5mm bored throttle body and 1" spacer. The jeep failed at first but the culprit was the thermosensor in the block causing the jeep to run super rich.. Once I repaired that the jeep passed with flying colors, and thats with a three year old cat... Since then I donated my stock TB to someone that needed it...

Clean-RC said:
Probibly not that it matters, but I just went threw the calfiornia emmissions testing last month. I have the Renix 59.5mm bored throttle body and 1" spacer. The jeep failed at first but the culprit was the thermosensor in the block causing the jeep to run super rich.. Once I repaired that the jeep passed with flying colors, and thats with a three year old cat... Since then I donated my stock TB to someone that needed it...
It does matter as MA had to go and coppy-cat CA in emmissions (and I thought I left CARB behind when I came here). It passes clean as is; just searching for other's results from the boring of the TB. But, thanks.

generally emmisions "increases" are attributed to improper combustion. not a simple increase in air-flow thru the TB. the increased air-flow may contribute to a little more fuel being consumed (i'm not too clear on how the RENIX would be affected by the air-flow) but if the bored TB causes you to fail i'd keep a spare one handy. MA is a real beotch on the vehicle regs and always has. but there are some sympathetic inspectors out there who stil help ya out.

I have the 59.5mm Art Sound Renix TB on my 4.6 liter stroker in MA and had no problems whatsoever with emissions. If the engine is in any kind of good running shape I wouldn't worry about emissions in regards to installing a bored out TB.

Matthew

Mine passes in CA. Absolutely no reason for a larger TB to effect emmisions results, and we do smog testing in our shop every day.

Just passed CA smog a few months ago with 58mm. No problem, just be sure to re-adjust the TPS using the FSM average method. If you live in CA you can also get a legal intake tube from http://www.xj-armor.com/. The smog police tried to fail me, but xj-armor actually certified their tube with the CARB. PS...every year I add something. Borla Header, Isky Cam, MSD 6AL, 58mm TB, Air Tube, MSD SS Blaster coil. (All excpet the TB have CARB OE #'s). All passed the sniffer just like before just don't tell them about your new "stock" TB.

SO: If you want it, buy it. My 89 runs so much better on the top with no notice at lower RPM.

Thanks guys for the opinions. I intend on keeping a spare- they're inexpensive and easy to swap.

Tetsulo, what did you think of your TB? I was looking at one of his.

ajpulley said:
Thanks guys for the opinions. I intend on keeping a spare- they're inexpensive and easy to swap.

Tetsulo, what did you think of your TB? I was looking at one of his.

I was very pleased with the condition and quality of the Art Sound unit upon arrival. Everything was in good clean shape and it arrived VERY promptly.

Originally I had ordered the XJ-Armor one and it took close to a month to arrive. Not only that but I could get NO communication from the company/individual whatsoever. I was very disappointed with the service. Although the throttle body did finally arrive. I ended up selling it through Naxja at a slight loss but was worth it over trying to return it to the company. He reported that the screws for the TPS were stripped and he had to drill/retap for a larger size in order to get everything working.

I will never do business with XJ-Armor again.

Finally some one else is making the TB spacer for the Renix system other than them. I've been waiting for a long time.

Matthew

Last edited:
tetsulo said:
I was very pleased with the condition and quality of the Art Sound unit upon arrival. Everything was in good clean shape and it arrived VERY promptly.

Originally I had ordered the XJ-Armor one and it took close to a month to arrive. Not only that but I could get NO communication from the company/individual whatsoever. I was very disappointed with the service. Although the throttle body did finally arrive. I ended up selling it through Naxja at a slight loss but was worth it over trying to return it to the company. He reported that the screws for the TPS were stripped and he had to drill/retap for a larger size in order to get everything working.

I will never do business with XJ-Armor again.

Finally some one else is making the TB spacer for the Renix system other than them. I've been waiting for a long time.

Matthew
Thanks Matt. He has been great at answering a few of my questions. This makes me feel more confident about getting his. I think I will. I have a spare TB which I will send him and keep my origanal. I'll post before and after emisions when I install it, so anyone else can see just the difference, or lack thereof, in emmisions.

Back