• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Ford 9" offer

English XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been offered a recently built 9" by a frieind of a friend.

Good stuff is the ratio I want, a Detroit, Discs and it's a 9".

Uncertain stuff - he says it has Mosser shafts (moser?) and it's 28 spline.

I know the 28 spline setups are less well thought of but can any of you guys with more experience give me feedback on this build. Any ideas of maximum tyre size or strength relative to other axles would be great.

Thanks, James

P.S. I know there is loads of 9" stuff on search, I spent time looking - but most people discuss their big a$$, big $$$, 35+ spline mega builds that are way beyond me.

Hey James, welcome to NAXJA.

Most of the pics I've seen from GB are a mudding style and I guess those Mosser's would last through that. You can break anything if you try hard enough, plenty of threads on that too. :D If the price is right, I'd grab it if I was you. I'm sure as the rest of the country wakes up over here there'll be a bunch more opinions.

Have a good day!

mks

I wouldn't be afraid of the 9" in any sort of mudding conditions. The only way you will break it in mud is suicidal clutch action, but i think you will kill a u-joint first.

Last edited:
I have a friend with a small bearing 28 spline 9" with detroit on 38" Super Swampers and the only issue he has had is with small bearings, no broken shafts.

Only his experience,
Michael

got a friend in Nebraska out here with a NASCAR ford 9 with 28 splines and a spool, blew a shaft turning a corner on icy road - no traction then maximum traction is hard on shafts...

what price are we talking?

you could always upgrade to 31 splines later and keep the housing setup with teh discs..

Thanks for the input.

Price-wise, it's the same as I would pay for a re-gear with a Detroit over here, or the price of a super 35 kit not fitted.

I guess I'm just asking if the 28 spline setup is an issue. I like to do upgrades once and properly - I'm only on 31s at the moment but want the option of going bigger without worrying. I worry quite a lot about the D35, stroker is on the way and I get carried away with the skinny pedal at times.

If it'll handle more than my HP D30 (33/35s ?) up front I'm happy.

Thanks guys.

English XJ said:
If it'll handle more than my HP D30 (33/35s ?) up front I'm happy.
I would say that is almost certain. The D30 becomes a weak point on 33's if you're hard on the go pedal. The nine inch should easily keep up with the D30.

Thanks for the opinions and info, I'm pretty much set on it now.

Can anyone give me a idea of what's involved in upgrading it to 31/35 spline setup? Is it just shafts and a new carrier/Detroit?

Thanks

Back