• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA smog

NorthwestWolf

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

New to the board (this is my first post).

I finally got another Cherokee after almost 3 years without one, the ex-wife wrecked my 94 Sport.

Today that long separation from the beloved XJ ended for me, I bought a 92 XJ with 4.0L HO from a guy near my work.

Which brings me to my question, my last Jeep I had I drove in Connecticut and Washington state....but I am in California now and the smog laws here are tighter than most other states.

My new 92 XJ has 218,000 miles on it and was last registered in W. Virginia...what do I need to do before I go for a smog check to give me the best chance of passing the smog check the first time?

Anyone who has been through a similiar scenario probably has some good info, any help would be much appreciated....thanks.

A tuneu-up, and make sure the smog guy understands it's a FEDERAL vehicle, and not a CALIFORNIA. I'm not sure that will help, but the specs weren't as tight on the Federal (or 49-state) vehicles, and you may fall in between.

However, in my experience, the 4.0 is a clean-running engine. My four (1987, 1988, 1989, 1989) consistently test near zero emissions, and that's without any modifications or any attempt to "clean up" the running engine, just taking it in and testing.

Granted, I'll be happy to get out of CA - I don't like paying more for the smog test than I pay for the damn tags, and the whole "Test Only" thing is driving me nuts...

5-90

I've heard that you should change the oil right before the check as well as make sure the engine is completely up to operating temp. I'm not really sure if there is a difference between the cal vehicles and the fed vehicles. Mine consistantly smogs with low numbers at more than 220k miles. Just make sure all of the hoses and tubes are hooked up right.

Back