• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fix that clunking noises in your front end fast

Jeepernick

NAXJA Forum User
Tools needed: #1 Grinder #2 Welder #3 paint to touch it all up

This may not be everyones front end problems, but it sure was mine and I fixed it thanks to a few very helpful people(they know who they are and know they have my thanks)

My track bar has been loose for some time now, not knowing it I jump to the idea of it being my steering linkage was either bad or warning out from the lift and needed to be replaced soon by a hi-steer or a cheaper way to fix would be a drop arm. Figured this was where the clunking noises were all coming from, whenever I turned hard or flexed there was lots of noises coming from the front end, like I said thought it was the steering...WRONG I WAS

Found I was totally wrong and fixed it today. The Trac Bar bracket was loose, just loose enough that I didn't know it, but when I flexed or turned in hard it would wobble the holes out and the bracket would move back and forth, causing that clunking noise. (Had figured thing could be loose causing some of the noise, tighten everything up: all lift components..ect and including the trac bar, though mine was just coming loose and never really getting tight enough to begin with more then likly)

Finally
How did I fix it?
Well I researched it and found the best way to keep it from coming loose is to weld the bracket right to the unibody (duh!!! right?... what I figured...; just kinda wondered at 1st if anyone else had done this) (found quickly that many have, and I was not the only one riding the boat of a none tightened trac bar)

That fixed it and I am a happy man again, saved me alot of money, thinking I needed new steering and now I don't need to worry about it.....just yet :D

If anyone would like pictures or more details on the fix I will be glad to help and snap some shots

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wait youm welded the stock trac bar bracket to the unibody???? How the hell do you plan on ever taking it off to do maint. There is a pretty good chance the bracket will crack somewhere else. Seems like the proper fix would have been to get a hd bracket especially if the thing sees any street time.

you werent clear about what lift or trackbar you have. as stated before i hope you didnt do this with a STOCK bracket. i am very close to welding my HD bracket on as well because i just cant keep either end of the RE HD trackbar tight for any period of time. but once its welded it will never be an easy fix/replacement/modification in the future.

sidriptide said:
you werent clear about what lift or trackbar you have. as stated before i hope you didnt do this with a STOCK bracket. i am very close to welding my HD bracket on as well because i just cant keep either end of the RE HD trackbar tight for any period of time. but once its welded it will never be an easy fix/replacement/modification in the future.

I think his other thread is in the picture forum, he did indeed weld the stock bracket.

try again

Jeepernick said:
yeah that is what I figured and that is what I was planning on... just enough to insure it will stay on the unibody and not move around like it does right now...though I just tightened it up I am sure it will come loose again

Oh and I have the RE HD trac bar and bracket, so we are in the same boat.

One more thing if you can... is there anything in that area i need to be careful of when welding it on??? anything that should not get fire on it/ get really hot???

Thanks

incase someone searches - do not do this with the stock brackeT

:D J/k

I dont know why you could not do it with the stock bracket... I made mine so I can do a few little grinds and the bracket will come right off and out

Only welded on 1in welds, welded the left side with two welds, top with one weld, and the bottom with one weld, really did not see the point in molding it to my unibody... I also welded the bolts to the bracket :D

Yeah I had the same problem. About 1000 miles after I put on the lift I got that horrible noise and found I needed to retighten the trackbar bracket. three months later same thing again. If it hapoens again I'm definately gonna weld it.

when...

Ramsey...

Buys....

cheap

hookers...

must we do this again?

we must!

indeed.

funvtec said:
postwhores!
You're just noticing that now?
happyfinger.gif