• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ or ZJ?

Syme

NAXJA Forum User
OKay if i'm posting in the wrong place my bad i read through most of the stickeys.
I have a 93 Zj with 125k miles on it in pretty good running condition. From looking i can see xj stuff is alot cheaper and there is much more choices and accesoies. Also it seems as if xj's r a bit more rugid and fit for what i wanna do, which is be able to drive to and from school everyday, then go through 4 feet of water and mud when ever i feel like it. Should i sell the zj and get an xj?
Also i know price ranges vary but what should i completly steer away from on cherokees or look for? good yrs etc etc.
Sorry i hate asking dumb noob questons but i wanna know for sure before i throw down a couple grand,. Oh and just for refernce my price range tops out at about 3500 max. i can sell my zj for 3000.
or should i just keep the zj?

Last edited:
1. need more info on your ZJ (engine, transmission, tcase and so on)
2. how is this mod tech?

Syme said:
OKay if i'm posting in the wrong place my bad i read through most of the stickeys.
Good starting point. Now look here and read up a bit. Then you might be able to ask more specific questions :D

oh yeah
Syme said:
then go through 4 feet of water and mud when ever i feel like it
4 feet of water? hmmmmm got periscope? :D

ZJ

they are cooler and came with coils in the rear from the factory - and the cool thing to do with the XJ is put coils in the rear...

Kejtar said:
oh yeah

4 feet of water? hmmmmm got periscope? :D

I know a particular someone that has something that resembles a periscope.... :cheers:

rpraterxj said:
I know a particular someone that has something that resembles a periscope.... :cheers:
periscope.gif

I would say that the ZJ is going to give you a more comfortable ride whenever you wheel and whenever you are driving in town. Don't wheel it because it's "cool", just wheel what you've got, and make the best of it. I've seen many ZJ's out perform a lot of rigs, so don't discount them as show only.

nah u dont want my zj lol. i got to fix a few things on it. like my brakes because the front caliper seized up and caught on fire while driving lol.
but whats on ur xj rig lol?

trust in this, keep the ZJ and wheel it with out trying to kill it and build it as you go ( you might find that you have more fun and learn more along the way )

Just my .02

Ive never owned a ZJ but Ive wheeled with a few. I go along with what most have said, Wheel what ya got. As long as its reliable and you can keep it in good repair it should do well. There are plenty of aftermarket parts to keep you busy and they arent a whole lot, if any, more expensive than XJ parts. Understand, I like my XJ and theres no way I can trade it off but if I did, I wouldnt hesitate to get a ZJ to off road a little.
Im not taking either through 4' of water though.

Use the $3500 your planning on spending on the XJ and put it in the ZJ. ZJ's are good trail rigs too mabey even slightly bit better than XJ's. The only big reliability issues I can think of are the tranny (unless your 93 was lucky enough to get the AW4, don't know anything on the 5 speed), and the rear axle. Which is eather a Dana 35, or alum 44. Eather or there not desierable for anything bigger than mabey 32's.

scoobyxj said:
Use the $3500 your planning on spending on the XJ and put it in the ZJ.

Care to rethink your post?

:dunno:

Bent said:
Care to rethink your post?

:dunno:
No not really. Did you read the whole thread or just my post? If he spends all his money on buying a XJ then he will have none for modifications. If he spends the money on the ZJ he will have a rig that will perform quite well.

Back