• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, why don't more people use 2 sets of tires?

zacattack

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like the perfect way to go; have a pair of cheap DD tires will long treadwear and then a set of beefy off-road tires that you swap on the night before a wheelin trip. you'd get the better tires offroad without wearing them out on the street. true, you'd have to buy 2 sets of tires and rims, but they would all last way longer and save money in the end. Anyone else ever considered this?

zacattack said:
It seems like the perfect way to go; have a pair of cheap DD tires will long treadwear and then a set of beefy off-road tires that you swap on the night before a wheelin trip. you'd get the better tires offroad without wearing them out on the street. true, you'd have to buy 2 sets of tires and rims, but they would all last way longer and save money in the end. Anyone else ever considered this?

Saving money in the end doesn't always justify the money you spent up front. I spent about $1600 on my wheels and tires. Can't say that I have another $1600 laying around just so I can get some "nicer, street" tires and save my others from wearing faster. But if you have that kind of money to throw around. Then let me shoot you my address real quick, and you can get a check in the mail.

Its real simple. $$$$$

1. Not everyone uses their XJ as a DD

2. Not everyone can afford two sets of tires

3. Not everyone has room to store 8 tires

4. Their are TONS of tires that offer great tread life if you take care of them that are not expensive.

5. Swapping out tires is the last thing i want to do after a long day of wheeling.

Im sure the list can go on and on, but it just doesnt make sence. :looney:

I did it for a year, but got tired of changing them the night before a trip, and then after I was done. Before I had air tools it took 45 min. After I could do it in about 15 min. Plus storing them

Then SS came out with the TRXUS. That's all the tire you'll need for a dd and off-roader. They are serious off-road tires that do well on the road.

I've tried everything, MTR's (they suck on the road, and off the road, constant rotation, no siping, wear quickly, noisy)

TSL LTB's (flat spot, LOUD on the road, excellent off the road, slippery on the road in the rain, wear out fast with road use, 20,000 miles max)

SS TSL Bias (same as LTB's, wear quickly on the road)

BFG AT's (excellent on the road, decent off except mud, then you can expect some body damage with the lack of control, cut easily)

BFG MT's (suck on the road, good off road, but not a Super Swamper, cut easily off-road, slippery on the road in the rain)

SS TRXUS (reatively quiet on the road, wear well 40,000 mile tire, excellent off the road in everything, excellent snow and wet weather traction, resist cuts, these tires have little sipes that save the day on the road)

SS TSL SX (heavy, hard to balence, noisy, TOUGH, resist cuts, suck on the road, Off road these tires are the best in my opinion) I have these on a trail rig non-daily driver, and just bought a brand new set of 38's... did I mention that they're heavy!?)

I do. I have a set of cheap 31x10.50 on 4 steel wheels I got for nada, and 5 TSL's mounted on factory wheels. The only extra expense was $300 for the cheap street tires.

IMO it is cheaper to do it this way because I'm not eating expensive off road tires on the street and get better gas milage with the street tires. It's called amortizing in the financial world.

Last edited:
You can get a set of street tires for $400, and they'd still be 33's. Just find some stock rims or some steelies, and you'll spend another $200 to get it all done.

Yea you save money in the long run, but I hate changing wheels all the time, so I ended up selling my street tires.

$$$ for initial investment.

Storage room, whatever that is.

Time, changing tires two to four times a month is way to much like work for me.

Besides that, when my tires are "dead" there's still tread on them. If I didn't wear some of it off on the street, well they would really hurt.

Two sets looks really good on paper, but it just wouldn't work for as lazy as I am.

I take my wheelin' tires with me to where I'm wheelin' and change them there. I guess at 59 years old I got more energy. From the time I unload my tires to the time I load them, takes me 20 minutes to change tires.

Oh, and I store my tires on a wood pallet under a tarp behind the garage with a security cable (old winch cable) to a 2" pipe driven 4' in the ground.

dont know but i can tell you why i dont even have any good tires on mine, $$$$. thats why i am still running a bald set of mix and match (came on the rig)235's on stock sport rims.

I guess it boils down to what your willin' to give up. I gave up drinking and smoking so I could enjoy wheelin'. I was told when I got into this that if you can't afford to be doin' it you shouldn't be in it. Bucks are damn tight for me too, so I cost justify everything I do. What's the BEST I can get for my buck, not the cheapest. I don't want to layin' on my back on the trail fixin' something that I should have done right the first time and is gonna cost me more when I get home.

I'm looking to split the difference. I love my trXus MTs, but my freebie-spare finally died and I'd like to replace it with a pair of more aggressive swampers. They'd go on the rear axle for trail use. I have to buy one tire already (and this time it'll be "highway-safe") and I figure buying 2 used ones shouldn't be much harder or more expensive than finding one.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
im considering re-gearing my front end to 5.13 with my 33's and buying another drop out centersection for the rear with 5.13's and swaping centersections with tires...

keep my current 33's for on road, get some 37's and the new centersection for offroad...

keep my gear oil fresh right? :D

XJ_ranger said:
im considering re-gearing my front end to 5.13 with my 33's and buying another drop out centersection for the rear with 5.13's and swaping centersections with tires...

keep my current 33's for on road, get some 37's and the new centersection for offroad...

keep my gear oil fresh right? :D
I hope you don't drive on the highway much. Enjoy the high revs if so.

xjj33p3r said:
I hope you don't drive on the highway much. Enjoy the high revs if so.

no - id keep the stock 3.50 center with my 33's (perfect for the highway right now - 17mph)

zacattack said:

Well, you buy two sets of tires now to avoid buying a second set of tires later..... :dunno:

Besides, there's already enough stuff to do to pack for a wheeling trip, who wants to change the rims twice each trip.

Hey, to each his own. If it works for you, do it.

it worked for me...

i ran my mudders on my new(er) rims, then some street tires on my stock rims. i quit doing it strictly for aesthetics. i got really sick of hearing - "man, that's a cool jeep - but you need to get tires for it!!"

that, and i got a car... that's really the route i recommend. my second set of tires is now my talon!

XJ_ranger said:
no - id keep the stock 3.50 center with my 33's (perfect for the highway right now - 17mph)

17mph on the highway. No wonder it takes you forever to get to Attica. JIM.

i also have two sets. i figured since swampers wear out so fast on the street, it would be cheaper to buy a good used set of bfg at's, and thats what i did. got a set of rims at the junkyard too. i too will haul my mud tires on a long trip,( like to attica). heck my rig is not even a DD. only really drive it on the weekends, and if not off-roadin, why wear out expensive mudders? would even be more expensive on a daily to work situation is my guess. i will admit it is a pain in the butt to change them, but air tools and a good jack helps a lot. heck nothing in this whole sport makes any sense at all when it comes to money, it's kind of like havin a race team, it's gonna cost a lot more than you are ever gonna make, unless you are Dale E. jr.(well step-mommy pays his racing bills) my.02$

Back