• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Claytons Offroad LA kits

i had mine for a couple of months now and its had held up for me fine and it flexes great with the right lenght shocks and you'll need limiting straps so the coils dont fall out.

I've wheeled with the front arm setup for a year. Awesome. They take abuse like no other.
I have Clayton's rear coil conversion sitting in the garage right now waiting to go in.

claytons stuff is very strong and i doubt you will find anyone out there that has broken it, and on top of that when i was thinking of using his LA kit i called and he said if i could bend or break any of the kit he would replace the part no questions asked for life.

BUT.... with all that being said it has two major drawbacks one is it is a radius arm design (which many people run and love but does unload and is not the best link design), the second is that it the mounts which require welding hang very low below the frame rails providing a spot to hang up on rocks and other objects.

another lift to consider which is one of the better radius design link systems is the TNT customs system. it is still radius but the lower links are bent for ground clearance and the x-member is also high clearance. i consider this with all pros/cons weighed to be better than claytons.

one other kit to look at is the full traction kit it is a 4 link design and flexes great and handles very nicely but like claytons stuff it hangs below the frame rails. this kit is only offered in a full suspension system unlike claytons and TNT.

but on top of all this before buying any new link suspension i higly suggest an extensive search on all link designs you will be able to make a much more eduicated decision on which kit you want, and you may even want to build your own

good luck!
Brandon

with Clayton being one of our "local" shops out here we have alot of rigs of different types running around with his stuff. XJs, ZJs, TJs, and even YJs. his stuff was designed to withstand HIS OWN trail abuse. and that is saying ALOT. those guys from the shop run with us quite a bit up here. this is what i have to say about his Hard-arm kit.

for the $$ i would probbaly not put it on my own rig if it was a multi-use rig that would see much street use.
for a dedicated trail-rig that would probably drive to/from the trail. i would ABSOLUTLEY install it in my rig.
the cross-member does hang down, but i see that as a trade-off considering you will likely be raising the over-all height of the vehicle at the same time.

if you are serious about a LA kit and intend to use it as hard as it is designed i'd say go for it. but it can be a bit of over-kill for a lesser use.

Back