• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best protection for 242?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I was sold on buying a DPG "rock attack" skid, but its not made (like others) for the nv242. So does anyone know where I can find a flat belly/ high clearance type skid for my Jeep? I am not wanting to pay over $300 so TNT is out. I am just want full protection and nothing that hangs down.

Last edited:
uh.....good luck on that request, specially since you have the 242. I also have that t/c and love it in the winter time. For protection I got the skid-row t/c skid, one of the few out there built for the 242. and was relatively cheap, ~$175 shipped, I think. Check with Jason on Jeepin.com, thats where I ordered mine. Nice set-up, but I am definately looking into TNT's set-up this spring when the long-arms go on.

I may have to do it, I plan on TNT LAs in maybe 8-12 months, but I need a really good skid till then.

noresttill said:
Belong to any local clubs??

I ask because usually there is a fabber or 2 in the bunch.

Yeah, but he'd chage me a load, minze well just go TNT route.

I guess I could always resale it, I just hate to drop big $$ on the TNT skid then go LAs and have to get their version with the arm mount on it.

TNT is probably your best bet, and the flat skid they make for the 242 is not entirely flat, it has a section below the 242 that hangs down a little.

you can try to space your tranny mount a little to get the 242 higher, but i'm not sure if there is enough room above.

to get more clearance, i swapped out my 242 for a 231 and got T&T's flat belly skid.

Yeah I am gonna just go with this TNT skid, I am assuming if I did decide to replace it with the bellyskid in the LA kit the ymount the same? I don't need holes shot all throughout the unibody, lol. It mounts using 6 bolts and 6 through the frame.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/xjarmor.asp

ZachMan said:
Yeah I am gonna just go with this TNT skid, I am assuming if I did decide to replace it with the bellyskid in the LA kit the ymount the same? I don't need holes shot all throughout the unibody, lol. It mounts using 6 bolts and 6 through the frame.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/xjarmor.asp

i got the belly skid a few months back, and it only has 2 thru-frame mounting points. might want to double check with them before ordering, because either they changed it, or their website is wrong after the update.

Do you have the chasis stiffiners? I am probably gonna get those too.

IntrepidXJ said:
yes.....i had those before the belly skid

How do you like them? Does the skid just mount ontop of them? One thing I've wondered is do you just drill through them when mounting up rock rails?

ZachMan said:
How do you like them? Does the skid just mount ontop of them? One thing I've wondered is do you just drill through them when mounting up rock rails?

i like them. i was originally going to just use angle, but liked how these hugged the rails better and i was going to be in CO to pick them up anyways. i did modify mine just a little

DSC04884.JPG

as for rock rails, i replaced my rockers and have them attached to my cage for now (eventaully will tie them into the framerails as well).

I run Rusty's, I have a 242 as well. Attaches to the Drivers side frame rail and the crossmember. I've beat on it pretty hard with no issues. Dosen't cover anything but the TC though.

tcase_01.jpg

IntrepidXJ said:
TNT is probably your best bet, and the flat skid they make for the 242 is not entirely flat, it has a section below the 242 that hangs down a little.

We do modify the original XD Belly Pan to work with the 242. A small portion is cut out and a "hat" that fits right around the portion of the 242 that "sticks through the belly pan" is then put back in. The hat sticks down about an inch...

IntrepidXJ said:
you can try to space your tranny mount a little to get the 242 higher, but i'm not sure if there is enough room above.

We tried this to avoid the "hat". Can't get enough height to get the 242 inside the flat pan, there are clearance issues with the floorboard, not to mention the Tcase shifter linkage not being in allignment after "stuffing" it...

IntrepidXJ said:
to get more clearance, i swapped out my 242 for a 231 and got T&T's flat belly skid.

An option, but as mention the 242 is kinda nice on snowy roads, not to mention a spendy option to gain about an inch under the middle.

IntrepidXJ said:
i'm sure you could find someone who could modify it and add mounts to it later (my plan when I swap front axles)

I resemble that remark. ;)

Bob

IntrepidXJ said:
i'm sur eyou could find someone who could modify it and add mounts to it later (my plan when I swap front axles)

Just and FYI...

If you order the bellypan and choose to upgrade to the Y-Link down the road, you can send us the pan and we'll modify it to accept the Y-Link arms for a small cost. Saves you from buying twice and you'll know for a fact that it will bolt direcly in when you get it back.

**Note: You may want to keep your stock x-member so you can driver your rig when you have to send your b-pan back for us to modify ;)

Matt

scorpion said:
Just and FYI...

If you order the bellypan and choose to upgrade to the Y-Link down the road, you can send us the pan and we'll modify it to accept the Y-Link arms for a small cost. Saves you from buying twice and you'll know for a fact that it will bolt direcly in when you get it back.

**Note: You may want to keep your stock x-member so you can driver your rig when you have to send your b-pan back for us to modify ;)

Matt

thanks for the heads up, and that's definately cool that T&T will do that for customers.....but I will not run a radius arm setup (otherwise I would have just bought the Y-link), so my modifications will be different :)

Back