• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear diff pinion heights

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've seen comparisons of pinion height between the various axles before, but can't seem to find one. Anyone know this, or know where a link is?

Like on a D44, D60, 14 bolt, HP60, HP9", etc.

Thanks,

Ahh, found everything but a 14 bolt on the Truehi9 site. Anyone know what it is on a 14 bolt? I'm talking pinion centerline to axle centerline.

Thanks,

Goatman said:
Ahh, found everything but a 14 bolt on the Truehi9 site. Anyone know what it is on a 14 bolt? I'm talking pinion centerline to axle centerline.

Thanks,
Richard,
This may help.

About 1/2 way down the thread, posted by "Ant"

RCD60 pinion is 1.5" above centerline,
SCD60 pinion is 1.5" below centerline,
10.5" 14 bolt is roughly 2.5" below centerline.

TIM

BrettM said:
when you swap the 14 bolt, let me know how much you want for the HP 60 rear

:laugh:

Yeah, right. :)

Thinking about something else..........just thinking.

Hey, my next project, if there is a next project, would have to be on the cheap. No high9 for me.

I could get a 14 bolt basically for free, but am still wondering about the ground clearance and pinion height. I also might be able to get a semi-float D60. Even though the D60 has c-clips, it's still 35 spline, and would have better ground clearance and pinion height than a 14 bolt, even after shaving.

Wouldn't you like to see me in a beater buggy with full width junkyard axles?

:D

Goatman said:
Hey, my next project, if there is a next project, would have to be on the cheap. No high9 for me.

I could get a 14 bolt basically for free, but am still wondering about the ground clearance and pinion height. I also might be able to get a semi-float D60. Even though the D60 has c-clips, it's still 35 spline, and would have better ground clearance and pinion height than a 14 bolt, even after shaving.

I bet you could find those numbers pretty easy on www.CK5.com I don't know about stock hang-down, but with a 10.5" ring gear, 5.5" hangdown would be fairly easy to accomplish with a shave. I don't have a measurement, but the pinion sits fairly high for a low pinion axle.

Since your rear axle has worked flawlessly as far as I know, but you break the front semi-regularly, you must be considering that 14bolt for the front.... right?

p134653_image_large.jpg

okay now, seriously, what are you up to?

Last edited:
Well........I have these two Commanches sitting in the back yard. But, if I do it, I'm not going to spend much money building one of them. But.......I'll start a budget buggy building thread.

I saw one place that said the pinion height of a 14 bolt is 2.5", but from pics it doesn't look like that much, and that would be more than a 9". From the High9 site, a D60 is 1.125", a D44 and 8.8 is 1.5", and a 9" is 2.25", so I don't think a 14 bolt is 2.5". I guess a trip to the wrecking yard is in order.......or use a semi-float D60 that I think I can get.

if your primary concern with the 14bolt is the pinion height (since you are used to a HP rear), I'll let you in on a wonderful little thing I discovered:

broken back driveshaft angles

with a 2 joint driveshaft the 2 joints need to have the same operating angle, this is usually done by having the outputs parallel. HOWEVER, you can also cancel the ocillations by having the pinion pointed higher than straight at the t-case, so they have the same operating angle. I would never try this with leafs since axle wrap would make the joint angle worse rather than better. I set mine up this way and it is completely vibeless at 80mph, and I drove it this way 1100 miles roundtrip to JV. the rear pinion angle is 23 degrees above verticle (110"wb, stock 231, no SYE) and gets the driveshaft way up out of the way, not a single scratch on it after JV, when before it looked like this after a couple runs through the Rubicon:

img03354qs.jpg

one potential problem with the broken back angles, is that if your slip is in the driveshaft (I still have the slipyoke) there is potential for the driveshaft doing a little bit of a "jumprope" effect if the tolerances on the slip are not real tight. however if this is trailered and only sees trail miles, that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Goatman said:

Thanks,

The GM 14 bolt is listed as GM 10.5 on the HI9 site since a GM semi float 9.5 also has a 14 bolt cover. It is 1.5 inches below the axle centerline.

Goatman said:

Are you sure all SF 60's have c-clips? I have one but I have yet to tear into it. I know some came with c-clips...but I didn;t think it was all of them...???

Back