• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pump relay and fusible link location

LazarusMJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 4.0 is not running and I want to check the relay and fusible link before I bite the bullet on a 136 dollar pump. Which relay under that plastic cover is the fuel one, and what is the part number for it? Also where is the fusible link located? Would that even be the problem? I know I am getting spark cause It ran until the line pressure was gone. If it sould be a (or the) problem how would I go about fixing that?

Sorry for the Noob-ness, but I hate diagnosing electrical problems.

Thanx for any help.

relays.jpg

Fuel line froze up?

you might find this thread helpful.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68504
I had a similar problem with my *87 MJ. Langer1 was very helpful. Mine turned out to be the fusible link. I ended up jumpering it temporarily with s wire to diag it. If you've got any more questions PM me. I spent a long time crawling all through my fuel system.

Great diagram, Thanx.

It might be now that it is empty but it wasn't. My pump is not kicking on at all. Had a buddy key the ignition while i stuck my head near the tank. No whir of the pump at all. I hope it is just the relay, but if i have to splurge on the pump it will fix two problems at once. (gas guage doesn't work either)

LazarusMJ said:
Great diagram, Thanx.

It might be now that it is empty but it wasn't. My pump is not kicking on at all. Had a buddy key the ignition while i stuck my head near the tank. No whir of the pump at all. I hope it is just the relay, but if i have to splurge on the pump it will fix two problems at once. (gas guage doesn't work either)
Back at the tank is where I would start then, you could have some wires off.

MY MJ had a connector at the fuel pump and one in the cab behind the drivers seat. I pulled up the back edge of the rubber mat to get at the one in the cab. I belive there weren't any connectors between the relay and the one in the cab.

Cool, I will check all that in the AM. I don't think my MJ has the connector in the cab, but it does have the wires. I already ripped out my carpet so i could Herculine and remember seeing them. If their is a connector there i could have popped it apart (my CD console sits real close to those).

I was going to address this problem later and just buy a winter beater, but being broke puts a big crimp in that plan. Just my luck, cause today I got a honey of a deal offered up to me for a 98 XJ from AZ w/ a 3 inch lift and 31s for only $4k.

One more thing, does anyone know the relay part number for autozone? I found the NAPA number but I cant get a cross reference on the AZ website. I keep getting "NOT FOUND" or "NOT YET AVAILABLE"

The NAPA number I have is from the link supplied above and is: ECHAR143

finsing relays on the website is next to impossible. I went into the local advance auto and they had no problem finding me the right one in their system. I took one with me just to verify that all the connections were the same.

Yeah, I work at AZ and I got a cross to a GP Sorenson PN# MR78 relay for future reference. I am going to take one of the relays to wrk today to verify that is correct. I will let y'all know.

i just had the no pump working too... mine ended up being a corroded connection in the red wire coming from the relay right under the dreaded leaky coolant bottle....

Well, I got the MJ running. It turns out just the relay was bad. I have never been so haappy and pissed at the same time. I have been walking to work all week because a $4 relay crapped out. Oh well, I got a new pump that I don't need, but I will still use it to fix the sending unit problem. Its a good thing that I got an extra 10% off over the weekend. ( I got the entire hanging assembly w/ sending unit for only 90 bucks)

Thanks for all the info and input. Appreciate it.

LazarusMJ said:
. I have been walking to work all week because a $4 relay crapped out. Oh well, I got a new pump that I don't need, but I will still use it to fix the sending unit problem. Its a good thing that I got an extra 10% off over the weekend.
Good news ... Local New York stealers wanted anywhere from 40 to 90 dollars. Had to get one at NAPA

Pilot (the company that make most of the driving/fog lights that autozone sells) makes a relay that is the same thing as the required relay. The only difference is the price. The Pilot relay was only $4 while the GP Sorenson relay the computer wanted me to buy was $12.

Back