• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things you would change on your XJ?

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
What would you have done different to the XJ if you were an engineer at Jeep?
I would have redesigned the windshild washer fluid bottle on the 98'. It takes forever to pour it down that spout. Very annoying in the freezing temps.

I would have used a different type of seal(gasket) around the heater box which I would have designed to be removed more easily and of course I would have lost that moisture trapping carpet padding.

a setting on the HVAC controls so that the heat will blow feet/top at the SAME time, so annoying.......

better door seals to cure that interstate wind noise

REAR DISC BRAKES!!!!

Given a free hand?

NOT used the Peugeot gearbox - I'd prefer a Muncie top-loader, even if it IS a four-speed.

Door hinges should be bolted at both ends, not bolted at one and welded at the other. (Yes, you can bolt door hinges to a unibody.)

Either set up a higher intake manifold (for less angle through the cylinder head) or design a cross-draft head. Either one will help to make additional power.

Two words - roller valvetrain. (for longevity's sake.)

Install an "overdrive/underdrive" or a "gear splitter" between the transmission and transfer case, to allow for heavy towing or long-range freeway cruising (or, better selection of axle gearing.)

Two words - heavier axles. Dana 44/60?

Three words - more common parts. AMC was jokingly meant as "All Makes Compatible" - using some more Chevvy parts would make field service easier, and would make parts easier to find (Chevvy parts are easier - and usually cheaper - than ChryCo parts, and don't get me started on RENIX...)

Fewer vacuum lines, and make a "core harness" out of copper or steel. Get rid of those hard Nylon lines - I never did like those...

Elimination of the C101/bulkhead pass-through plugs for something a little more solid and sealed - even plastic Amphenols would be an improvement.

Provision for power to upper-deck lighting (exterior.) Again, Amphenols are a nice choice for this.

What else? I'd have to think on this for a few days...

5-90

A real Trail Rated pakage,Dana 44 front Dana 44 rear,selectable lockes on both ends,standerd 5" lift and 33's w/flare pakage.A V8 and A 4:1 T-Case.Bedliner interior with easier drain holes(placed better for draining)....

With a offroad worrianty(sp)
covers everything
Thats all of my money .02
William

5-90 said:
Given a free hand?

NOT used the Peugeot gearbox - I'd prefer a Muncie top-loader, even if it IS a four-speed.

Door hinges should be bolted at both ends, not bolted at one and welded at the other. (Yes, you can bolt door hinges to a unibody.)

Either set up a higher intake manifold (for less angle through the cylinder head) or design a cross-draft head. Either one will help to make additional power.

Two words - roller valvetrain. (for longevity's sake.)

Install an "overdrive/underdrive" or a "gear splitter" between the transmission and transfer case, to allow for heavy towing or long-range freeway cruising (or, better selection of axle gearing.)

Two words - heavier axles. Dana 44/60?

Three words - more common parts. AMC was jokingly meant as "All Makes Compatible" - using some more Chevvy parts would make field service easier, and would make parts easier to find (Chevvy parts are easier - and usually cheaper - than ChryCo parts, and don't get me started on RENIX...)

Fewer vacuum lines, and make a "core harness" out of copper or steel. Get rid of those hard Nylon lines - I never did like those...

Elimination of the C101/bulkhead pass-through plugs for something a little more solid and sealed - even plastic Amphenols would be an improvement.

Provision for power to upper-deck lighting (exterior.) Again, Amphenols are a nice choice for this.

What else? I'd have to think on this for a few days...

5-90

Thatd all be nice, but realisticly....

Fred85 said:
a setting on the HVAC controls so that the heat will blow feet/top at the SAME time, so annoying.......

REAR DISC BRAKES!!!!

X2 on the Heat setting and the rear discs!

I'd also give it some more height as a stock vehicle.

Better brakes, about 2 more inches seat adjustment and about an inch or two in the headroom department.
And...
A 4.2 crank and rods from the factory :laugh3:

Either done better quality control on the evap inside the heater box or if cheaping out on the evap quality like they did I'd have made changing it easier...but I guess you need to suport your dealers labor hours...

Put an access hole in the rear floor of the cargo area to access the fuel pump like they did in most other chrylser cars..

Put the 12v accy plug on the side or on the console so that it would be usable when driving, otherwise 5th gear hits the cell phone charger...

Not mounted the front of the rear springs into weld nuts INSIDE the frame, would have put real spring hangers there like on the YJ.

Put pockets on the doors to hold maps and such like the TJ has.

Built a base model with no power anything but with 44's front and rear, kinda like the tuner car companies are doing now, offering the base models with 'good stuff' for those that want to roll their own.

Mines a '90 so a lot of things were already improved on later models; brakes, TB and intake, body, ECU....

But based off the last issues I would say; Beefer axles, removable front doors, Engine ground cable, wide chain NP231, deseil engine option, more interior pockets and holes to put junk ....

Id put 4 wheel disc , and i hate the front seats on my 01 xj.

Fred85 said:

REAR DISC BRAKES!!!!
X2

Tow hooks, the ability to fit larger tires on stock suspension, better build quality and quality control (you'd think a later model cherokee would be perfect after all these years).

MachineMan said:
Beefer axles, removable front doors, Engine ground cable, wide chain NP231, deseil engine option, more interior pockets and holes to put junk ....

I definatley agree with the diesel option. Today's Jeep executives need to get their heads out of their backsides and realize that the CRD is very popular. They had a great Idea, but they put it in the wrong vehicle. They should have kept the Cherokee line and put a diesel in it instead of that sorry excuse for a Jeep.

Edit: I also think a small V8 would have been a good change but nothing too big. Something in the 283-327 area would have been great.

Last edited:
LazarusMJ said:
I definatley agree with the diesel option. Today's Jeep executives need to get their heads out of their backsides and realize that the CRD is very popular. They had a great Idea, but they put it in the wrong vehicle. They should have kept the Cherokee line and put a diesel in it instead of that sorry excuse for a Jeep.

Edit: I also think a small V8 would have been a good change but nothing too big. Something in the 283-327 area would have been great.

Diesel, NFW, you seen the price of diesel, the KJ gets about 24mpg, thats 2 more mpg than my XJ gets. The diesel around here is .75 cents more a gallon than regular.

Yeah - the Diesel prices are going up because they figured out how to "crack" the long Diesel hydrocarbon chains into the shorter "paraffinoid" chains that make up gasoline.

I don't recall where I read it, but it was a credible source. And, it makes sense.

It used to be, when they "cracked" crude oil, Diesel and gasoline were separate "fractions" that were handled separately - I guess they've managed to expand the cracking process to cut up the individual chains now. Y'ask me, they should crack asphalt into fuels, and use cement for the roadways...

5-90

Back