• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft issues

james swain

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 model xj with the cv style front driveshaft. My problem is that it tends to "pop" and roar when in 4x4. the shaft that is in it now is a new rebuilt from the local parts store and is not as noisy as the previous shaft. Does anyone know of a way to put the newer style front driveshafts, without the cv, on to this year xj? I have a 3" lift and a 1" trans case drop.

What is your setup?

Do you have a 229 or 228 tranfer case? If so the spline count is thirty two on the front and rear outputs. YOu have to fine a jeep with the double cardan front driveshaft with that spline count.
Do a search on this and you will come up with the year and type of tranfer case to look for. Sorry just don't know it off the top of my head. HTH.

Kim.

He most likely has the NP207 tcase.

Before spending a ton of money building a custom driveshaft, I would score an NP231 and swap it along with the stock driveshafts. I can end up being cheaper and stronger as well.

My jeep has the 2.5 engine and a 229 tranfer case with a fixed yoke on the rear. Would a 231 tranfer case and driveshafts match up for me? I have the same front driveshaft setup and would like to get rid of it. Would it line up on my crossmember the way it is or would I have to move it? I do also plan on going with an 8.8 with about 5.5 inches of lift.
If this swap is able to be done do I have to get a SYE for the 231? Or would I be better off staying with the drivetrain that I currently have? Sorry, just trying to see what my best way to go is.
Thanks and sorry for jumping in on this thread.

Kim.

Back