• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auburn limited slip? opinion please

climbon

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of going with an Auburn limited slip in the back of my 8.25 and an OX locker for the Dana 30 in front. What do you know about Auburn. Is it strong and will it last long for part time Moab stuff and hundreds of miles of FS roads? and yes I choose to stay from air systems, not that I think there bad I just like the manual operating cable systems.

Mike from NJ has an Auburn and I believe he is satisfied with it. The first negative comment I ever heard about the Auburn appeared on this forum just a couple of days ago.

It is a clutch-type unit, so eventually it will wear. I don't know if the Auburn is rebuildable like the Trac-Lok.

The Auburn is NOT rebuildable......

Just discovered in my Auburn docs they recommend changing the lube every 7500 miles. That may explain why mine ain't working so well at the moment. In addition, their website very specifically recommends using dino juice, and avoiding synthetics.

The Tru-trac isnt available for the 8.25".

Auburn?

Sorry,
One of these days, I'll post a full sig of my rig and it's mods (I'm in the midst of installing some "accumulated" stuff now).
I have a 2000 XJ Limited w/D35 rear and D30 front.
BLUTO :)

Eagle said:
Mike from NJ has an Auburn and I believe he is satisfied with it. The first negative comment I ever heard about the Auburn appeared on this forum just a couple of days ago.

It is a clutch-type unit, so eventually it will wear. I don't know if the Auburn is rebuildable like the Trac-Lok.
Thanks I will search for it.

Auburn does offer an exchange program where for $85, Auburn will swap you a reconditioned one. I just got one and have been really happy with it thus far. The owners manual does recommend a fluid change every 7500 miles...no biggie though.

Click the link below for info on the exchange program...

http://auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/

Ivan

Auburn?

I think I remember reading a while back about how Auburn will "exchange" a posi id it wears out. The reason it sticks in my mind was thinking "who would want a clutch-style rear end that wasn't rebuildable...that's a lot of $$$ to throw away". Then I read about the "exchange".
I'm still thinking towards the TrueTrac....
BLUTO :)

The later 8.25 axles are limited to applications when it comes to limit slips. Your only choices are either Trac Loc or the Auburn. I would have bought a True Trac to match the one up front, but the True Trac isn't offered in the 8.25 / 29 spl flavor :(

Ivan

Ivan said:
The owners manual does recommend a fluid change every 7500 miles...no biggie though.

For someone like me, who has to change fluids outdoors on a gravel driveway even in winter, that's a VERY biggie. That's changing diff juice every second oil change.

That's just plain NUTS! If that's what it takes to keep an Auburn happy, I'll stick with Trac-Loks, thanks just the same.

I was quoted 347.99 @ 4 wheel parts in Ogden, Utah is this a good price or is there a better one out there? I have checked all the distributors in Utah and 4 wheel is the lowest out here.

Eagle said:
For someone like me, who has to change fluids outdoors on a gravel driveway even in winter, that's a VERY biggie. That's changing diff juice every second oil change.

That's just plain NUTS! If that's what it takes to keep an Auburn happy, I'll stick with Trac-Loks, thanks just the same.

I hear ya Eagle......... I have to change the lube NOW (been trying to find time for a month, and throwing out my back last weekend didn't help.)

I should have a second change in before the Fall Fling, so it should be working. Mil mentioned last year on Cliffhanger (or was it Wipeout Hill) that my Auburn didn't seem to be working too well.

I wheeled with my Auburn for the first time this past week up in Colorado. It worked flawlessly! It locked when I needed it; and unlocked when it was supposed to. It's a very solid unit for a daily driver who doesn't want the quirks of a locker.

BillR you just sold me, that is what I wanted to hear. My rig is not a daily driver so the fluid change is not that big of a deal for me. And the quirks I don't need when I do drive it through the paved mountain curves. thanks all

climbon said:
BillR you just sold me, that is what I wanted to hear. My rig is not a daily driver so the fluid change is not that big of a deal for me. And the quirks I don't need when I do drive it through the paved mountain curves. thanks all
Mine IS a daily driver, and I have to deal with snow for part of the year. The snow, and the fact that my family also drives mine once in a while, make it a requirement that the XJ be as "user-friendly" as possible.:cool:
You made a good choice!:thumbup:

Eagle said:

I had a stock Trac Loc that grenade into pieces with 30's on relatively mild trails, so I wasn't about to toss in another one in once I move up to 32's. My ONLY other available option as far as a traction aided device was the Auburn, which has been great thus far. If a True Trac had been another option, I would have gone that direction in a heartbeat. But there is no True Trac application for a 29 spl 8.25 axle. A locker is overkill for my purposes and situation.

Eagle, how do you change engine and tranny oil on a gravel driveway even in the winter? As long as you're down there anyway, seems like dealing with a diff fluid change shouldn't be too much more of an effort..... throw down a piece of plywood or some card board to lay on.

Ivan

Do you have an automatic tranny? If so, get a Detroit for the rear. It's not a daily driver, so you don't have to worry about it around town every day.

I had an Auburn for a couple of years in my 8.25. It's a good unit. It was great onroad and provided a lot of traction offroad. But, as everybody knows, a limited slip will always let you down when you need it most. If you really need a front locker, just lock the back, too. The Auburn is a full carrier replacement diff, and it's an expensive install due to the required grinding of the 8.25 case. You don't want to be disappointed in your $700 differential.

I now have a Detroit. It can be a PITA around town, but out on the highway and on winding mountain roads (I live in Colorado), there is zero, and I mean zero, difference compared to the Auburn. In fact, it is better in the snow, because it just stays locked. I found the Auburn could be unpredictable from time to time. I wouldn't put in a Detroit for a rig that sees a lot of daily driver miles, but for a mountain rig, I absolutely love it, and offroad there is no comparison for hardcore wheeling.

Limited slips are for daily driven rigs. For a wheeler, you won't regret the locker, and as long as you have an auto tranny, you won't know the difference even on twisty two lane roads.

Nay

Back