• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating question

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 xj w/ 4.0L. I put in new thermostat 3 times, 2 waterpumps,radiator and heater control valve. It overheats after 30 min of idle or if i drive a few miles. it seems the thermostat never opens,cooland is circulated everywhere but i know head gasket good,and components are good,even tested thermostat and it opened at right temp, just not on truck any ideas??

take out the thermostat and see if it overheats....if so, make sure you didn't put it in backwards...make sure to bleed out all the air from the cooling system.

i backflushed the system and ran it without thermostat worked fine.. but its too cold in MN to run w/o thermostat.Why would it not open,can a crack in resivior cause a problem? Im stumped!!

Hell I have an 89 also, run a wire from the white wire on the aux fan into the cab, to toggle switch to fuse box.... DUN!

Never overheat again.... The older ones have a tendancy to lose the use of the elec fan.

josh89xj said:
i backflushed the system and ran it without thermostat worked fine.. but its too cold in MN to run w/o thermostat.Why would it not open,can a crack in resivior cause a problem? Im stumped!!
A crack sure can, you need to be able to build pressure in the system.

What's the t stat set to open at.....???Any of the parts stores handle t stats for extreme conditions???

its a 195 oe temp and it is the heavy duty,and i did test all 3 i got them at napa. All opened under heat outside truck but not when in housing.This is driving me nutz!!

josh89xj said:
its a 195 oe temp and it is the heavy duty,and i did test all 3 i got them at napa. All opened under heat outside truck but not when in housing.This is driving me nutz!!
Drill a small hole through it so a little water can flow past it, you sound like you have a air pocket and the hot water is not getting to it.
Do you still have the stock closed system?

You sure you got the hoses routed right?Between the heater valve/heater core?
Belt(s) on right

langer1 said:
What kind of extreme conditions? Hot or Cooled.
195 is stock.

Well since your livin in Minnysota one might say cold but what do I know :cheers:

I am in Minnesota damn cold about 0 degrees give or take.. it is the stock system,seald radiator and the overflow/res. is the coolants entrypoint to the engine whick by the way has always been such a treat but never had this issue before.

Yeah I'm in Texas,got a 89'XJ...When I first got it (@4 yrs ago)it had the closed system.
Took 2 radiators(Stock for/closed sys)before I swapped to the open system and all the over heating stopped.
Also wired the aux fan direct and have a switch on the dash
Backflush at least once a year,and change hoses and t stat and belt and keep the others for spares
Run a 195 deg t stat yr round and try to avoid any and all traffic tie ups and here in Texas they're constantly working on the freeways...

josh89xj said:
I am in Minnesota damn cold about 0 degrees give or take.. it is the stock system,seald radiator and the overflow/res. is the coolants entrypoint to the engine whick by the way has always been such a treat but never had this issue before.
You ask about a crack in the bottle, is there a crack?

I think I am going to try a co workers suggestion,drilling 2 1/16 th holes in thermostat to help bleed air out so i can get some flow thru. Like i said before its all good w/out the thermostat but when i put it in it wont open..so i think it might just be air,ill post my results tommorow if anyones interested..but if it still no worky not very many other things left to try...

Back