• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinging, tinking, and noises, oh my!

el_spico

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here's the deal, I put my car in 4wd and it didn't work so i took it out of 4wd. Kept on truckin' and the next day, i hear a funny noise when i'm cruising at about 15-35 mph, kinda like the sound of a bicycle chain over a sprocket, thinking it may be the front diff i drain, inspect, and refill, still there. Lube the u-joints and still there. it's coming out of the center of the car, underneath. I was gonna pull the t-case apart and see what's going on but i wanted to get y'alls input first. Thanks

i'm not the expert by far here but i am learning more and more on NAXJA everyday it sounds to me like you broke something in your transfer case

your going to have to tell us what transfer case you have and i think they are chain driven but i'm not sure if so that may have snapped on you

t-case is chain driven. It's possible that the chain is stretched.

Last edited:
Back