• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My cruise control isnt working...

95RedCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have checked the fuses and the plug is connected to the back of the switches...

I am going to check teh switches for power tomorrow...Is there a way to test teh control unit under the hood? What does it do if you give it power directly? Will it humm or anything? Any other trouble shooting tips?

TIA!

anyone? I checked it out further. The switch is getting power and when I push teh power button on it, there is a click sound, from I think teh control unit under teh hood, but I was doing it by myself so I couldnt get up to it and listen. This narrows it down to either the settings switches or vaccum lines...I looked at teh vaccum line to the unit and it loked fine...I dont get it...Anyone have a vaccum diagram or anything I can look at?

Are your heater/ ac controls working? If not, it is probably vac lines. Check the hard lines that run past/under the battery area. They get cracked/eaten by bat acid sometimes.

If not, it may be the wiring in the multi function switch itself. Those little wires move/rub every time you turn on the wipers. Had mine replaced twice.

Lastly, check your tail lights. If one is burned out, your cruise won't work.

(had all three of the above at one time or other)

Where is the controller module and the fuse?? I was under the impression is was under the dash. If its under the hood that may explain why I can't find it. Mine is a '92 4.0 aw4 with CC from the factory.

Check the cruise control cancell switch thats located on the brake pedal.

well the filiment in the brake bulb is blown but the runnign light in it is fine...there actually isnt a fuse that I could find for the cruise, but I checked every fuse on teh vehicle just in case. My blower motor either isnt working or the control switch for it is bad...I'm going to be replacing the blower motor soon...its getting cold out. Is there a way to test teh blower motor without removing it?

I'll check out the cancel switch soon too. The next dry day.

actually my blower motor is working. On high only. I'm going to replace the thermal fuse in teh resistor pack soon to get full blower functionality from it. I also have to hit the heater controls to get it to turn on. whats teh problem there? Would this cause the cruise not to work?

By the way, my cruise control buttons are on teh steering wheel. Not on a multi function switch/handle.

kevin s said:
Are your heater/ ac controls working? If not, it is probably vac lines. Check the hard lines that run past/under the battery area. They get cracked/eaten by bat acid sometimes.

If not, it may be the wiring in the multi function switch itself. Those little wires move/rub every time you turn on the wipers. Had mine replaced twice.

Lastly, check your tail lights. If one is burned out, your cruise won't work.

(had all three of the above at one time or other)

Ok, today I actually cheked those lines near the battery. it was missing about 3" of that brittle plastic crap. I cut a piece of vaccum line I had laying around and stuck that hard line inside it. It works fine now. :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Oh by the way; After I fixed that, I was able to have full control of my heater again....the blower speed can be adjusted, and moved from defrost, to vent, to heat. Are they somehow related?

One day I'm going to get rid of all those hard lines in teh engine bay and replace them with flexible vaccum line.

My cruise stopped working a few weeks ago. I just happened to unplug every connection under the hood and clean them all and I guess I cleaned one of the cruise controll electrical connections because it works now. On top of all that I have a slightly better idle.

Scott

Back