• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple questions

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
lifted my 99 3.5in. and put some 31's on her. Ive got slight vibes but thats no what's worrying me. There is a sort of grinding noise made when letting off the gas at around 30-50 mph, one of those noises that you turn up the radio to pretend you dont hear it so you dont worry. I'm goingto be getting a sye and new driveshaft soon, will this fix this or just the vibes?

those are the kind of vibes everyone is always talking about. That's your driveline binding up because the pinion angle is off so bad. Very common. I'm getting you have no T-case drop at the least. Most likely going to need a SYE and some shims but a T-case will get you though for a while.

Thats a different noise. Yes its asscoiated with the u-joints but in a different way than is actually thought.
What it is, it has to do with the elipicical rotation that a U-joint takes when operating at angles. basically the driveshaft accelerates and decelerates 2 times per revolution. at fwy speed its going very fast. when your under power or coast there is enough load/pressure on the driveshaft joints to keep it from rattling around. but at that moment between coast and drive where there is no load either way on the driveshaft, its floating so to speak. and thats what you hear.
Yes an SYE will fix it.

Ditto what Ryan said. Slack chattering (probably on the slip splines), can be common on the edge of acceptable u-joint angles. The SYE and new driveshaft will cure it.

GirlScout1 said:
those are the kind of vibes everyone is always talking about. That's your driveline binding up because the pinion angle is off so bad. Very common. I'm getting you have no T-case drop at the least. Most likely going to need a SYE and some shims but a T-case will get you though for a while.

Maybe someone can answer this for me. Are shims needed on every SYE install? If so, is there any way of knowing what degree of shims you need beforehand? Is there a general rule? Im sitting at about 4 in of lift. Thanks.

Im gonna keep searching about this, just thoguth Id throw it up since this thread is related to it.

EDIT:Nevermind, found my answer. Sorry for the post.

Last edited:
jeepinxj99 said:
is there a package deal of everything i need for a sye and driveshaft? looking for a tom woods and jb conversions.
Have you gone to Tom's site? Middle of the first page - Tail Shaft Conversion Kits.

And Beetlejuice - yes, shims are needed with an SYE install because the pinion is supposed to point up along the driveshaft although it's preferable to have it 1-2* below the angle of the shaft. If you don't use shims, then cut and reweld your spring perches accordingly.

Jim

Back