• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tires to get

DeadSquirrel

NAXJA Forum User
i am looking at new tires to get for my jeep. i go mostly mudding. i want to get all new tires and wheels while i am at it. I have a 98 xj with a 6.25" suspension lift from rusty's. what would be the ideal set-up for a good ride on and off road? I currently have 31" BFG all terrains on stock rims. What back spacing and other stuff should i try to get? What tires are the best? What wheels are the best? THanks.

ive been hearing an awful lot of good things about the TrXus MTs.

been thinkin bout gettin them next myself.

can anyone on here speak on them?

I'm surprised no one has got on and told you to search yet. You might want to try that, then if you have any more questions then post.

To answer your question, the best off-road and on road tire I think is the BFG Mud terrain. I run 33's on my jeep with 6.5" of lift and they work great. I also have the black rock crawler wheels. They are steel and have 3.75" back spacing and they're cheap. I would also try to get a full size spare if you can.

I run the BFG mud terrains on mine and they are great off road, and surpisingly pretty good on the road too. They do hum somewhat, but nothing the radio cant drown out. I have 3.75" back spacing on my rims. The tires are 32x11.50s with a 6" lift and not much fender cutting.

i'll problably regear soon but not right away
i dont want to spend more than 150 per tire
i dont want to do any fender trimming
i was thinking of 33x12.5 ProComp mud terrain on a 15x10 procomp xtreme alloy wheel

I would go with a 33 on 8" rim with 4" BS...I don't think BFG MTs are the best on/offroad tire though. I use Firestone Destination M/Ts and love them. I have seen BFG M/Ts puncture their sidewalls bretty easy before and I think they are a little loud. Though it really does depend on what you are going to do with it. I really like the TrXs M/T as well though I would think it may wear faster if you are doing alot of on road driving as a DD.

If you want your tires to last long don't get Procomps. I've had my BFG Mud Terrains for about a year, and they have shown very little tire wear. I've rubbed them against some pretty narly rocks and not one side wall has gone out on me. And they do hum a bit, but who here doesn't drive around with the radio on most of the time. Most of the people I know who have BFG mud terrain have them for more then 2 yrs and still have enough tread to wheel. But thats my experience with'em.

Yeah I have about 15k on mine to include quite a bit of wheeling and they still have nearly 3/4" tread (about 90%). I love mine for both on and offroad. They are a big tire too.

I love my trXus MTs!! They've proven themselves on sand, mud, dirt, sandstone (Moab), snow, and concrete (very quiet on the freeway). Jeeps have been getting 40-45k out of them, but you must rotate them every 3-5k to prevent any funny wear (due to the soft compound).
Jeep on!
--Pete

103750887.jpg

116332402.jpg

If i was you, i would get Boggers, they are an excelent mud tire, and extremely quiet on the road*

*do a search, this topic was covered million times.

Back