• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Cherokee Turbo Diesel

deisenba

NAXJA Forum User
So I just purchased and picked up my new 1986 Cherokee Laredo Turbo Diesel. Looking for people who have worked on or know anything about these rigs and if there are any good places on the web for info/parts. The rig has a spun bearing on the number 4 cylinder. I can not see any galling or serious scratching on the crank, but I'm sure there is a little there. I'm on the West Coast as an FYI.

Yes it has the factory 2.1L Renault TD. And for all the people who are reading this thinking I am crazy talking about a diesel XJ, yes Jeep had a stock turbo diesel in the Cherokees from 85-87 and in Commanches from 86-87.

Cool rare XJ, not many of them in the US but they were popular in other countries. A nice gentleman from Italy that has owned serveral appears here every so often when the subject of diesel motors comes up and says they are are common there. I did a favor for someone with one a while back and looked up all the relavant part numbers at the NAPA where I work, its buried in the forum somewhere....which would be an excellent opportunity to try out the search function. Try advanced search for "diesel" and enter my name under "find posts from user:" Believe it or not, they we had a lot of the basic items for it in stock, IIRC even the clutch!

bajacalal said:
But I'm pretty sure his site discusses the later export diesel, the VM diesel which is different than your Renault 2.1L
I hadn't thought of that. I wish I had a diesel MJ. that would be sweet. At least I got the i6

You could always swap one in, diesel cherokees show up every so often, in ebay for example or get a motor overseas You will need the transmission too or at least the bellhousing.

Speak of the devil, was this the one listed on Ebay in Oregon recently? If so, it was on my watch list.

bajacalal - you are the man. I found that advanced search button and the thread that you were talking about. Good info and the italian guy seems to know his stuff. I got the rig with almost a complete spare motor, so I should have most of the big parts I'll ever need. I just hope its not a dog. I have a TDI Jetta and its great. my poor old 89 XJ probably isn't going to see much use anymore once I get the 86 running.

DC5R - going to start with all the filters. The timing belt is supposed to have around 30K on it, but the rig has been sitting for 2 years. I'll probably change it soon. Does anybody know if it is a zero interference motor?

Who knows once I get it running what I'll start seeing. Just mainly want to get some info now of where to go for parts.

deisenba said:
DC5R - going to start with all the filters. The timing belt is supposed to have around 30K on it, but the rig has been sitting for 2 years. I'll probably change it soon. Does anybody know if it is a zero interference motor?

Who knows once I get it running what I'll start seeing. Just mainly want to get some info now of where to go for parts.

Here is the filters and part numbers. I couldnt find the part number for the crankcase though. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need something else.

Oil Filter Element J0871919 $20.70
Fuel Filter 33003592 $6.70
Fluid Filter - A/T
8 - A727 J8127652 $13.00
8 - A904, A999, 32RH J8127652 $13.00
999 Trans J8127652 $13.00
900 Trans J8127652 $13.00
Air Filter Element 83501843 $19.20

Hi I was the proud owner of both a 86MJ and a XJ.Watch out for the timing belt if it breaks you lose rocker arms and possibly bent valves as this is a interferance(sp) motor. Had it happen ,luckly I had some spare parts when I bought the basket case XJ.Use purolater oil filters best for this baby. When I had the MJ I got 32 mpg's out of it. Should never have listen to the wife(oh its too small we can't all fit in it). My MJ liked to eat starters, two in 3 years so if you have to replace it get one with a life time warranty.Winnabago also used this motor in some of the motorhomes so check on the web. I have some left over parts(head, crank with one spun journal 4 pistons and sleeves,one with damaged rod end, turbo, alternatorintake exhaust manifold.and a few other odds and end) One other thing to watch out for is a cracked exhaust manifold. The one on my mj cracked so I took it off biult a plate to bolt it too so it wouldn't warp when welded. That didn't last very long as it cracked again. The exhaust manifold should have a slot cut betwnn the bolt holes on the flange and this should keep if from cracking. I'll have to have a look again to confirm exactly how it is done. I sold mine 2 years ago so I'll have to dig for the parts to check it out. Any question feel free to ask and I'll try and help. also BC4X4.com has a jeep forum as well and there was one guy went by the name of 86diesel jeep I think who knows a lot about these. I'll have to dig out my old paper work to verify the name if your interested. Thats about all for know(post is pretty long)

deisenba said:

The Renault 2.1TD isn't a bad engine, but keeping one running here is going to prove to be problematic from a parts supply standpoint. It was never very widely-used in the US, and my experience has been that it's easier to get Citroen parts rather than Renault despite Citroen having left the country in 1974.

Google for places that carry parts for the Winnebago LeSharo motorhome. That was pretty much the only other vehicle here that used that engine, so you may have some luck there. I also remember seeing an MJ converted to the Mercedes inline-5 TD a while back; search the forums for 'diesel mj' or similar and you'll probably find it. While this conversion wasn't exactly simple from what I remember, in the long run it may be a better (read: easier parts availability) route to take than trying to keep the Renault engine running.

Yes, I got the list. Thanks. I have not had time to go out and physically check what I've got and what I think I sould get. I know I will get a chance this weekend.

Back