• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking DD - Opinions ?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I want to add locker(s) to my '91 Limited daily driver on ~ 31s, it’ll go 80% on pavement.
So, front, rear or both ? I think I want the locker(s) to be selectable, ARB or OX ($$$) ? Are there more selectable lockers out there, or should I get an automatic one(s) ? What's the most bang for the buck locker, and where do I get the best deals ? Would it be stupid not to regear when I first have the diff(s) out ? What is the stock gearing, 3.55 ? How would it work with 31s, mileage ? Is the install (manual vs. auto locker) job hard, what tools are needed ? The rear axle is a LS equipped C-clip D35, and I don’t feel like polishing it too much, the frontend on the other hand is a HP D30. It has a NP242 if that matters. Experiences, thoughts, options, tips, opinions, love, hate ?

Enlighten me. Thanks.:viking:

Personally, Ditch the D35, and find a 8.25, lock it with a Detroit, which is cheaper than an ARB or OX. If you want to keep the Dturdy5, a LSD would be OK, I wouldt reccomend locking it. For the front, since its going to be mostly a DD, leave it open, or a Detroit Trutrack. With an ARB once again, There is cost and other things to go along with it, Compressor, air lines, ect. Probably wouldnt be worth the cost for as little of wheeling as you say you do.

I would regear to at least a 4.10 for a DD, or lower if you dont do much freeway driving, to a 4.56.

Just my
2cents.gif

Also THIS may help in your descision.

Well, I'd swap in a set of Vovoportals for that sake, but in Norway you'll get shot by the government for adding tires that's 5% larger than stock - try that for fun. :mad: I wouldn't mind bolt up a XJ D44, though, they shouldn't care about that. I do a lot of wheeling, just don't in my DD. And it'll be lot of freeway houres in this thing.

Detroits enjoy pavement ? :kissyou:

my aussies front/ rear function ver well on the pavement, and really havent beed to hard on the tread life of my tires

XJjeepLess said:
Not very much, but I think a Lock Rite or Aussie Locker is a little less harsh on the pavement.

Pretty common experience shows the opposite......the lunch box lockers are more noticeable than a full Detroit. I've run both, in more than one axle and more than one XJ, and the Detroit is smoother than the lunchbox locker.

As far as driving on the street with a locker......just do it, lockers were designed to be driven on the street. Many thousands and thousands of people run lockers on the street.

well said!...X2
Goatman said:
Pretty common experience shows the opposite......the lunch box lockers are more noticeable than a full Detroit. I've run both, in more than one axle and more than one XJ, and the Detroit is smoother than the lunchbox locker.

As far as driving on the street with a locker......just do it, lockers were designed to be driven on the street. Many thousands and thousands of people run lockers on the street.

He's in Norway. Lots of snow and ice this time of year. Do the automatic lockers like the detroits work well on icy and snowy roads? Just wondering.

NXJ, I'll be in Norway for the holidays with my wife. Her family is there in Risor. It's always nice to spend Christmas there.

Kyung

Goatman said:

Just my opinion. Everyone will have their own. Ive ran a stock posi unit in my '64 El Camino, couldnt notice it was there. Ran a Detroit Locker, definetly could know it was there. Ran a spool, then a mini spool, and the same result. I finally went back to the stock Posi, now im happy with it again. But since I dont drive the Camino much anymore, building a honest 450hp 383 for it, I think Im going to go back to the Detroit.

It all depends, its different in every vehicle.

I run a lockright in my front and a spooled rear on my XJ...granted, its not a DD, but it does perfectly fine on the street. The spooled rear(actually lincoln locked) isnt even really noticable unless your making tight turns. It will wear on your tires a little faster of you make alot of turns too. The lock-right in the front isnt even noticable unless your in 4WD...if you have full time 4WD, i would suggest you go with a selectable in the front. If this was my DD, i would have a locker in the front and either leave the rear open or go with a selectable...mostly to save my tires. Dont even waste your time with an LSD IMO...they wear out so quickly that it probably wont even work all that well off-road anyway...if you do go with an LSD, go with a gear type one(detroit tru-trac) instead of one that uses plates/clutches.

Installing a LSD (TJ trac-loc) in my 89 D44 makes a world of difference over an open XJ setup and is almost unnoticeable in ice/snow driving. After 175K in a open 87 I installed the LS in the 89 and almost never have to pull the lever for 4WD - It really makes a difference having 3 wheels working instead of 2!! Driving in teh New England area; including some in Maine - which must be somewhat similar to Norway?

XJjeepLess said:
Just my opinion. Everyone will have their own. Ive ran a stock posi unit in my '64 El Camino, couldnt notice it was there. Ran a Detroit Locker, definetly could know it was there. Ran a spool, then a mini spool, and the same result. I finally went back to the stock Posi, now im happy with it again. But since I dont drive the Camino much anymore, building a honest 450hp 383 for it, I think Im going to go back to the Detroit.

It all depends, its different in every vehicle.

Goatman is not comparing 'stock posi units' to a Detroit.
He's comparing 'lunchbox' style lockers to the full 'carrier replacement' Detroit.

Yeah, no where did the original poster ask about limited slips, his question was about lockers. All automatic lockers work the same on the street, or offroad, and they all have virtually the same handling quirks. The Lockright, EZ Locker, Aussie Locker, and (forget the name) are identical. The full carrier Detroit is a little smoother, without the tight turn ratcheting/shuddering, and won't bang as much as the lunchbox lockers.

An automatic locker can actually handle better in the snow than a limited slip, since the outer wheel can free wheel with less resistance. Once power is applied, though, on ice they will all be the same. Ice is an issue, but auto lockers work very well in snow.

Goatman said:
The Lockright, EZ Locker, Aussie Locker, and (forget the name) are identical.

No-Slip

Goatman said:
Ice is an issue, but auto lockers work very well in snow.

Coming from a guy living in So california.... :laugh3:

I had a auto in my rear and took it out after the first major snow storm we had...frickin scary doesnt even begin to describe what its like trying to drive on paved icey/snowy roads. Off-road its fine as your going slow for the most part...get up to 30+ MPH and try to navigate a winding road though. Its way too unpredictable and handling changes everytime you get on and let off the gas. I spooled the rear to get a more consistant drive and havent looked back. Drives 110% better in the ice/snow.

Jeffro600 said:
Coming from a guy living in So california.... :laugh3:

I had a auto in my rear and took it out after the first major snow storm we had...frickin scary doesnt even begin to describe what its like trying to drive on paved icey/snowy roads. Off-road its fine as your going slow for the most part...get up to 30+ MPH and try to navigate a winding road though. Its way too unpredictable and handling changes everytime you get on and let off the gas. I spooled the rear to get a more consistant drive and havent looked back. Drives 110% better in the ice/snow.

Hey Jeffro.........this is a great post. :laugh: :laugh:

For those of you wondering, here is a perfect example of how driver technique and handling preference makes a difference in what people recommend. So much of the advice/opinions thrown out really needs some history and/or experience to back it up. Here you have a guy that prefers a spool over a locker in the snow. The problem with a limited slip or a locker is the tendancy of them to work like a spool without sufficient traction on a slick surface to cause them to differentiate. Go figure..... :)

Yes, I do live in sunny SoCal. :) I do live close to the Sierra's, however, and love runs up into the snow. I haven't driven in the snow with a spool, but I have with limited slips and lockers. The total predictability of a spool is more comfortable to some, but I prefer the total predictabilty of the Detroit. :D

NXJ said:
Well, I want to add locker(s) to my '91 Limited daily driver on ~ 31s, it’ll go 80% on pavement.
So, front, rear or both ? I think I want the locker(s) to be selectable, ARB or OX ($$$) ? Are there more selectable lockers out there, or should I get an automatic one(s) ? What's the most bang for the buck locker, and where do I get the best deals ? Would it be stupid not to regear when I first have the diff(s) out ? What is the stock gearing, 3.55 ? How would it work with 31s, mileage ? Is the install (manual vs. auto locker) job hard, what tools are needed ? The rear axle is a LS equipped C-clip D35, and I don’t feel like polishing it too much, the frontend on the other hand is a HP D30. It has a NP242 if that matters. Experiences, thoughts, options, tips, opinions, love, hate ?

Enlighten me. Thanks.:viking:

The NP242 DOES matter. Running on dry pavement will toast a 231. We use full-time whenever the conditions are questionable. Iced over bridges with miles of dry pavement in between are no problem. And when my daughter forgets and leaves it in full-time for 2 days of clear streets, it's no big deal. We see occasional ice, and slick conditions but, I've heard plenty of people in snow country put it in full-time with the first snow, and don't take it out till spring. I've did the research, and verified with a respectable mechanic that the full-time feature of the NP242 is NOT compatible with a non-selectable locker or LSD in the front.

I'd hesitate to spend any money on a D35, certainly not more than the cost of a lunchbox locker (not a hard job) but, yours is "LS equipped" so it would require a full carrier replacement. . .

Selectables and full carrier replacement is precise work and should be done by someone with experience. If you've got $2,000+ to spend, then regear, and go selectable in both ends (replace the D35 while you are at it).

3XJFamily said:
I've did the research, and verified with a respectable mechanic that the full-time feature of the NP242 is NOT compatible with a non-selectable locker or LSD in the front.
Sort of. It's compatible in the sense that it will go in and 4wd still works (better even), but the 242 has been effectively turned into a 231.

I’m guessing that the road conditions in AK are pretty similar to what you have. I have been running Lock-Rites in the front and rear of my ’91 Limited for a while now. It handles great in the snow, but sucks on ice/packed snow. The worst is when it’s clear with patches of ice. The rear end gets squirrelly and will shoot you sideways when it catches something solid. You have to be careful giving it gas or letting off the gas quickly; either one will make the back end slide around. If it didn’t perform off road so well, I’d yank the Lock-Rite and put it back to open. I’m going to the lower 48 next summer, so I can live with it for this winter. If you plan on driving in the packed snow/ice much I’d look into a gear driven limited slip instead of a locker.

Back