• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Top 10 reasons...

derekrichardson

NAXJA Forum User
Top 10 reasons an XJ is better than a Full Size Bronco.

I have both and want a daily driver/mild wheeler. Cannot keep both.

Bronco is a '94 351 stock (ex-police)
Cherokee is a stock 93 Limited

(I posted this (oppositely) in a FSB site and got NO replies.)

This is just for fun/curiosity.

Say fuel economy ten times fast.

:)

I like FS Broncos. Dig the format, removable roof, etc. The XJ is just more practical (in my usage).

Lovely, but non-tech.

Root Moose said:
Say fuel economy ten times fast ...
Have to disagree with this one my 300 I6 in my 81 Bronc gets around the same mileage as my '00 cherokee .... and it'll do better when it's running propane (mainly due to price differences) .. in 'derekrichardson' 's case it the 351 that's killing his wallet ... but they sure are fun to drive :D

back on track ... the XJ is far more refined than my '81
Bronco - Built like tank (based on 300/NP435 combo), and rides like one on marshmellows
XJ - well, when comparing to the FSB ... more stable ride, more predictable, no IFS(TTB)

I know the feeling ... just about sold my Bronco a year ago .... but I just like both platforms so damn much ... so now ... I beat the Bronco, and do the family thing in the XJ.

Last edited:
Devilfrog said:
Have to disagree with this one my 300 I6 in my 81 Bronc get the same mileage as my '00 cherokee .... and it'll do better when it's running propane (mainly due to price differences)

Really? I'm intrigued. What kind of mileage are you getting? kms out of a tank, how many bucks per full fill up is fine since that is the units I normally think in.

derekrichardson said:
I suppose, but we are talking about physical (technical) differences, no?
No, he wasn't. You originally posted in the Modified Technical forum....thread has been moved.

I was getting between 825 - 850kms per fill ... on a 32 gallon tank ... averaged about ~16MPG or so but that's with the 300/6 not a V8 ... it's a big difference actually my buddy with a 351W averaged 11mpg (and don't ask what the old M series did
On the XJ I'm averaging around 450 or so KM's per fill (500KM round trip to work/back and I need to refill on the way home about 50 or so KM's out) so I dunno around 15-16MPG it's seems to be improving the more I drive though (PO was city drivin the wee out of it so now it get to stretch it's legs) so this may all change. when I first took it out I had to fill up twice now just a quick top up gets me home.

In my case it's the getting there that's important, economy is a close second but getting there is number one ... BOTH do this extremely well ... just the XJ does it more comfortably than the old beat up bronco.

Last edited:
goodburbon said:
fits down trails easier, and kids don't have to crawl under the seat to get in the back.

I have to agree on this ... at 72" wide the FSB is a bear to get around things safely (w/o body damage)

The FSB is a Ford (n)

The XJ is a Jeep :thumbup:

Make one strictly for the trail. My Brother had a 95 FSB Bronco, and I'll admit it did great offroad. It was also the first 4x4 I drove. Good Times, but I would never give up my XJ!

Good stuff! Have we gotten to "10" yet?
I can only keep one and I have a 2 y/o and one on the way.
I HAD built an XJ before and it was performing great on and off road when I had to junk it because the leaf springs pushed up through the floor on the front footwells had 2 foot holes on both sides. (It was used to back boats into the ocean)

I LOVE XJs but I'm 6' 2" at 255 lbs and I love the SIZE of the FSB.

Arrrghggghhhh.

derekrichardson said:
Good stuff! Have we gotten to "10" yet?
I can only keep one and I have a 2 y/o and one on the way.
I HAD built an XJ before and it was performing great on and off road when I had to junk it because the leaf springs pushed up through the floor on the front footwells had 2 foot holes on both sides. (It was used to back boats into the ocean)

I LOVE XJs but I'm 6' 2" at 255 lbs and I love the SIZE of the FSB.

Arrrghggghhhh.
Then get a full-size Jeep. Wagoneers are nice, large like you want, they still say "Jeep" on them, have solid axles, and are pretty easy to build up.

Back