• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom long arm kit

90hunkametal

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to build some long arms for my 90 xj and need help on where to start. I can weld and cut, but need some ideas on how to connect the joints and which ones to get. anybody have any step by step links or anything? thanks

I would suggest to do a search first. If you dont have any fab skills, it may be easier and cheaper to buy a long arm kit. Although I am a big fan of DIY work. Just my
2cents.gif

I definitly think that I am capable of building this, I dont like spending money, I like to do it myself. I just needed some write ups like those, they are perfect, thanks guys. I will post again as soon as I get into it and get stuck. haha thanks again.

im going to be building my own radius arm style long arms as well for a 4.5 lift. make sure u post all that you do. im going to follow RCPs way, but i can benifit from yours as well.

ok so I am stuck on how to mount the johnny joint to the control arm. does anybody know where I can get a weldable sleeve that I could adapt the 1" bolt to the 2" tube? or even any other suggestions? I do not have a lathe so creating something like that is out of the picture.

If you are talking about my writeup, you can file or grind the edges off of the nut to make an insert.

Also Rocklogic and Poison Spyder and a few others.

lets get back on the subject here, i fabricated my long arm kit out of the choped up remains of a teraflex tj lift kit. i took the threadad side of the LCA's and cut them about half way between the thread and the bushing then i welded them in the tubing, i used 2x2x1/4"wall square tube placed to look like a diamond. you need to figure the desired length you need, i needed to move my axle forward so i went longer than most, my long arms are 36" hole to hole with outward adjustment from there, but i pushed the frame side back too to give me the axle positioning i need. i need to get a digital camera and do a full wright up on it because i did the cross member and trany mount combo and the UCA's are welded to the LCA's and they are choped and modded pieces too. ( a total PITA but i loved it )

well good luck on your project.

Thanks for those, I will figure out something from those places. another question though... on an 8.5" lift, how long should my arms be? mainly the lowers.

90hunkametal said:
Thanks for those, I will figure out something from those places. another question though... on an 8.5" lift, how long should my arms be? mainly the lowers.

It doesn't REALLY matter. Its all preference. If you want to mount them to a tranny crossmember, then however long they have to be to get there. If you want them in front of it, so they are separate from the tranny crossmember, then they will be shorter. Just mock it, and see what you think.

I got my lowers from Rocklogic,extremely beefy.good fit.I did use a JKS upper for my axle,it was quality also.
xjbushing_sleeve.jpg

fh000010.jpg

Back