• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jumpy speedometer

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my temp. guage with one that works and after i installed the cluster back into my dash... i drove around for a lil bit and my speedometer needle jumps like crazy. Say im goin 30... the needle with constantly jump back and forth from 27-33 or so. How do i fix this? Thanks. -Austin

Beachmonkey6 said:
I just replaced my temp. guage with one that works and after i installed the cluster back into my dash... i drove around for a lil bit and my speedometer needle jumps like crazy. Say im goin 30... the needle with constantly jump back and forth from 27-33 or so. How do i fix this? Thanks. -Austin
Did you disconnect it or just yank it and bend the cable housing?

I had the same type of problem with mine the first time I replaced the cable. If the squared end of the cable isnt seated properly in the back of the speedo then it can make the needle bounce.

thecozmo65 said:
I had the same type of problem with mine the first time I replaced the cable. If the squared end of the cable isnt seated properly in the back of the speedo then it can make the needle bounce.
That's the most likely cause.
Take the cable off at the T-case pull the cable out of the housing and lube it up. Once you push it back in, turn it and push again so it goes in place.

SG-removing%20speedo%20cable.jpg
Beachmonkey6 said:
Ill do that thank you. How easy is it to disconect it from the T-case? And where does it conect to the tcase?
By the rear drive shaft, just unscrew the nut, it's easy down there compaired to the dash.

Last edited:
the_cheif said:
hey, where's yer sy?
That's not even an XJ, and it's a passenger-side drop with a driver's side cat...what's the vehicle?

It's still a good pic to give an idea where the speedo cable (or Vehicle Speed Sensor on later models) connects though.

Here's another:
speedo.jpg

That's the speedometer gear on my '96 XJ so it's got the VSS instead of a cable, but you get the idea hopefully.

Back