• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure EXTREMELY HIGH

pacexj

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my oil today with napa 1773 filter and 5w30 oil. When finshed started her up and all was fine. About 30mins later I started the Jeep up and the pressure gauge shot all the way up, "maxed out!" I cut the Jeep off and the gauge stayed up. Thank you for any suggestons. Danny

Check you didn't knock the oil pressure sender wire loose.

deffinitely replace that sender!
and not with a Chryco sender, they don't live long. go to a Lordco or Napa.
this happened to me when I owned my YJ .... didn't think anything of it, senders go all the time ... sure, I was dumber back then.
long story short the sender popped and spewed all the oil out of the engine. I eneded up regasketing the whole engine thinking it was a leaking gasket. replaced the sender and realized what happened. the Chryco replacement weny titters in three weeks ... a Lordco replacement is still in it and working fine (not to mention it was $40cdn cheaper)

Mine does that once in a while when the sender wire falls off because the connector is broken. I just stick it back on and it usually stays on a long time.

sorry for the jack move,

where is the sender unit on an 88 4.0 xj, i have a similar problem.

Its right by the oil filter, kind of above it. Now, its positioned a little differently on the renix engines, but due to its location it is vulnerable to bieng bumped when removing the filter. I disconnect the plug when changing oil to avoid damaging the connector again.

Back