• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm about to change my oil, but I need to know what year Oil filter from a Ford F-150 will work on mine. All the good auto parts places are closed so I'm going to have to get it off Canadian Tire, and all those parts #s don't mean any thing to them, I need a year and an engine that the Ph8 or 16 filter (I don't remember which) is off of. Also, how much extra oil will I need to add, I'm going to lucas it too, but everything is metric up here. So would it be a liter extra or a little less?

Forgot to mention its an 87 4.0 Renix with auto, the filter is mounted upwords making it right east to get at, you don't have to go under the car. Will the Ford filter still fit the Renix, I really need an answer because I can only get to put it up on the lift today, and I'm doing so many other things I might as well do the oil.

Last edited:
I don,t know of any Ford filters that have the metric threads you need.
Wayne

I want a filter from a Ford F-150 because it is bigger than a stock filter and should fit on a Jeep 4.0. A bigger oil filter mean a slightly larger oil capacity. Also I was told previously on this forum that the oil filter actually offered by the ford dealership is pretty damn good, since its a Purolator. But since the dealership is closed today, I should be able to get a Filter for an F-150 from Canaidan tire which will still be larger than the regular filter.

the_bandit87 said:
I want a filter from a Ford F-150 because it is bigger than a stock filter and should fit on a Jeep 4.0. A bigger oil filter mean a slightly larger oil capacity. Also I was told previously on this forum that the oil filter actually offered by the ford dealership is pretty damn good, since its a Purolator. But since the dealership is closed today, I should be able to get a Filter for an F-150 from Canaidan tire which will still be larger than the regular filter.
I don't think that was for the 87 4.0l because it's metric and the Fords are not.

langer1 said:
I don't think that was for the 87 4.0l because it's metric and the Fords are not.

What he's looking for is the SAE type 4.0L HO filter setup. What needs to be done is to convert it to the SAE style (which also lies horizontal). You can either pull the entire mount off of an HO engine or you can exchange the threaded insert with an HO one (if you look at the threads, you'll see that there's a 6-sided 'nut' around it). This will convert it to SAE. The metric mounts point upward and don't allow for simple replactment of an SAE filter with just the . From there, a Wix 1773 filter is a 1.5qt application. The 'Fram' number PH8A filter will fit with minor modification, but if the motor mounts ever soften up and you get on the throttle, you will likely slice the filter open. Ask how I know. ;) No, wasn't me...it was a friend of mine. We were skeptical of the setup and knew it was only a matter of time. He ended up just getting the horizontal HO filter mount and swapped for the same filter I've got, the 1773. :)

HTH

Unless you've got a Wix dealer locally, you're stuck with the OEMR filter. The nipple on RENIX (1987-1990) is metric (M20x1.5, to be exact) and the Ford nipple is inch (3/4-16, I believe - but I'd have to check.)

I've dug up a few Wix numbers that should work and give anywhere from half again to not quite twice the capacity (and therefore filter element,) but I'd have to go look them up right now...

5-90

majic_tech said:
I hardly call not being able to get a larger filter right at this moment an emergency
... unless he drained the oil before being sure he had the correct filter like I did this morning :mad: and needs to be somewhere.

i think a ph8 is a small block chevy filter

never mind i think a small block chevy is ph8a i cant remember but i think it was for my 79 malibu with a 76 engine in it out of a monte

Numbers notwithstanding, this chap has a metric oil filter and the Ford filters will not work.

well it was an emergency because the only places that were open, Canadian tire and walmart only had Frams, which I am now stuck with. I was just going to keep my old filter on, but it turns out that was a Fram too, but it was one of the bastard varieties where someone else paints their name over it (I figured out it was a Fram from the 2M casting). I figured that a new FRAM is better than an old one that has been on the engine and is the same quality. Don't worry, monday I'm going to see if any one sells a Wix that fits. And by the way, I think I actually still have it, but when I got the Jeep, it came with a Carquest oilfilter that was simular in size to the big ford filter I've been told about. I'll have to root through my stuff to find it, but when I changed that filter out, I tried to look for one that was the same size, but all I could find were small ones. This filter was a good inch or two taller than other filters I looked at that fit mine.

langer1 said:
So he's going to have to get the stock filter for now.
My thoughts. The conversion will have to wait for next oil change. Theres 3K miles or 90 days to get the parts together and do exactly what is wanted.

Good luck,
Andrew

the_bandit87 said:
And by the way, I think I actually still have it, but when I got the Jeep, it came with a Carquest oilfilter that was simular in size to the big ford filter I've been told about. I'll have to root through my stuff to find it, but when I changed that filter out, I tried to look for one that was the same size, but all I could find were small ones. This filter was a good inch or two taller than other filters I looked at that fit mine.
The SAE and metric filter threads are close enough that you can screw one on in place of the other. The threads get boogered up a bit, and there's a risk that it might just decide to blow off one day when you're tooling down the road. I think the oversize filter thing is greatly over-rated. My '88 is now at about 254,000 miles and I've been running the correct Purolator filter for the '88 4.0L since the first oil change. At this point I expect it to reach 300,000 and I can't see how a larger oil filter would have helped me at all.

85 Ford crown vic takes a PH8. I used Frams for years, until I heard they were bad then did some research on my own. I use purolator or wix now.

I see the correct filters, what ever brand also have a backflow check for the 4.0l.
So there is more than just getting a thread adaptor.
None of the Ford filters have a backflow check.

Back