• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flare relocation

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
Been searching for awhile thought i read an article somewhere(thought here)about relocation stock flares by moving them up and remounting them without trimming the fenders. I've been looking cant find anything , can this be done or did i miss understand. Thanks as always

noresttill said:
I think you missunderstood. i believe they can only be moved with trimming

yeah i think he's right..

but anyway, what year u have might help "pre 96?"

Its a 2001 only has 23,000 miles on her i kinda hate to trim.

Whats the point of moving up the fenders and not trimming?

And man, a 2001 is almost 5 years old, so its not like it just got off the show room floor :gag:

bowhunter said:
Been searching for awhile thought i read an article somewhere(thought here)about relocation stock flares by moving them up and remounting them without trimming the fenders. I've been looking cant find anything , can this be done or did i miss understand. Thanks as always

Wow 23,000 miles - I have a 2001 with over 51,000 miles. 35" MTRs with 6 inch lift-not enough trimming. So if you are not trimming the fenders, why relocate the flares?

My tires just clip the flares under flex, have a BDS 3" lift and 31x10.50r15 Trxus M/T's thought i read somewhere you could move the flares up and get like 1/4" more clearence without trimming fenders. Thought i could get a bit more this is my DD so most the wheelin i do is mild trails and alot of hunting.My Jeep was a lease trade in she only had 19,320 miles on it when i bought it , have a friend in the local Jeep dealership told me about it coming in.

Ill have to search a bit on that , i might just add a 3/4" coil spacer to the front and a 5/8" sttel block on the rear.

I just did this to my 2000. It may be what you are looking for.

-Pull the flares and cut the lip off of the flare ( the part of the flare that is horizontal to the road) all the way off and trim the flare to your desired look. I cut it to a more square looking flare.

-Then I cut the fender to just below the mounting holes (it is about 3/4" inch removed). then painted to prevent rust.

-I then put the flares back into there original position.

-Buy 4 hocky pucks for 3" of bumpstop up front, and make some rear bump stop extensions out of some 1/4" 2x2 tubing. go.jeep.com is a good website for info on bumpstops.

I used a dremel with a carbide cutter, and some masking tape to cut the flares. I was pretty easy. And a saw zaw for the fenders. It took a few hours but I gained about 3/4" more room for my tires. And I dont have to worry about knocking off flares.

It looks just like it did before I began besides the flares being cut to my liking.

Hope this helps.

bholt5035 said:
I just did this to my 2000. It may be what you are looking for.

-Pull the flares and cut the lip off of the flare ( the part of the flare that is horizontal to the road) all the way off and trim the flare to your desired look. I cut it to a more square looking flare.

-Then I cut the fender to just below the mounting holes (it is about 3/4" inch removed). then painted to prevent rust.

-I then put the flares back into there original position.

-Buy 4 hocky pucks for 3" of bumpstop up front, and make some rear bump stop extensions out of some 1/4" 2x2 tubing. go.jeep.com is a good website for info on bumpstops.

I used a dremel with a carbide cutter, and some masking tape to cut the flares. I was pretty easy. And a saw zaw for the fenders. It took a few hours but I gained about 3/4" more room for my tires. And I dont have to worry about knocking off flares.

It looks just like it did before I began besides the flares being cut to my liking.

Hope this helps.
Hey bholt sounds good i'am working on my bumpstops right now ,think i get what you did sounds like an idea ,have any pics? Thanks

Last edited:
going out wheeling in a few minutes. i will send you some pics when i get all washed up tonight or tommorrow. you really cant mess this cut up it is pretty simple. just tape everything you dont want to cut. the tape will also prevent paint from pealing off when using a saw zaw or a dremel. imho it was a lot easier than expected. but i will get picks

just bust out the angle grinder and go to town!! it's not like you're cutting up a deusenberg or something... ;)

No, you do not want to relocate the flares without any kind of trimming as it is pointless. By removing the flares (or moving them upward) wouthout any trimming will cut into your tires. The stock angle the fenders were cut are actually quite sharp and i myself run no flares and no trimming currently and i have lost a full set of nice brand new tires first day out on the trail due to slices into the sidewall and tread.

The bottom of the flares has a piece of thin plastic that prevents this cutting. Hence the reason most all people who run no flares run trimmed up.

Sorry But There Will Be No Pics Of The Fenders On My Rig. My Little Brother (the Camera Man) Dropped My Brand New Samsung Digi Out Of The Jeep And Under The Rear Tire And Now The Camera Has Severe Road Rash. Do You Think Target Will Take It Back? It Has Been Less Than 30 Days.

Back